Talk

Advanced search

does expressing in the morning affect your supply for the rest of the day ?

(5 Posts)
hsey Mon 22-Aug-11 10:25:38

My ds is 9 weeks old, I have started expressing in the mornings, as a friend suggested building up a supply in case I want a night out in the future and its harder to express after 12 weeks. But my ds has now gone from feeding every 3 hours to snacking throughout the day. Is this because I have started expressing?

jaggythistle Mon 22-Aug-11 14:29:07

i wouldn't think it's related. Bfing works on supply and demand, so your body would simply produce more if you express regularly at the same time.

i guess it's maybe a wee growth spurt so he's building up your supply with more frequent feeds.

hopefully someone expert will come along and reassure you. smile

worldgonecrazy Mon 22-Aug-11 14:35:53

It does sound more like a growth spurt and change in behaviour than anything to do with expressing. It only takes 2-3 days for your body to regulate your supply to your new expressing regime. Having said all that, sometimes it does feel like one long growth spurt, I recall the 6 week spurt blurring into the 12 week spurt which blurred into the 15 and 20 week spurt and so on.

hsey Mon 22-Aug-11 17:47:53

Thanks, I think you are right, he has had a cold and think that might of made a difference, and he seems to be growing before my eyes! I don't really mind just get a bit fed up of people saying your not feeding again, or he can't still be hungry or the latest I think he will need to go on solids early! All well meaning but fairly annoying. Thanks again.

jaggythistle Mon 22-Aug-11 21:39:41

oh it's so annoying!

i did manage to ignore the pestering and just carry on Bf only to 6 months, you'd have thought i was depriving him the way some folk went on! it was much more hassle having to start thinking what food to give him instead of just milk. grin

he sounds like he's doing great. smile

i got the 'is it normal to feed that often' rubbish too, i guess people just don't see bf patterns as normal these days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now