Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else seen this article in The Observer today?

(14 Posts)
TheRealMBJ Sun 21-Aug-11 19:19:21

Raises interesting questions regarding the social function of oxytocin

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Mon 22-Aug-11 10:10:18

That's really interesting. Ties in with something i read in "bf older children" about bf children having more oxytocin receptors due to the oxytocin from bf, and bennefits this may have.

HumptyDumpty1 Mon 22-Aug-11 10:34:01

That's really interesting (runs off to show biological psychology lecturer..!)

TheRealMBJ Mon 22-Aug-11 11:09:14

It does make me think about society in general and whether we would all benefit if more people had greater sensitivity to oxytocin?

HumptyDumpty1 Mon 22-Aug-11 17:32:27

Is it actually in breastmilk?

TheRealMBJ Mon 22-Aug-11 17:50:08

No, but the act of bf releases oxytocin in moth mother and baby and increases the amount of oxytocin receptors in the child, thereby making them more sensitive to oxytocin. So, would be more responsive to it's effects

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Mon 22-Aug-11 18:41:03

Think there is some in bm too but they don't know that it can be absorbed/have any affect when digested iyswim...It's mostly about what MBJ describes.

TheRealMBJ Mon 22-Aug-11 19:50:34

There must be some in BM, come to think of it as BM is made from mums blood so if it is circulating in the blood stream, there must be at least a little in BM.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Mon 22-Aug-11 20:04:29

Assuming the molecules are the right size to pass through whatever they have to get through to become milk...or summat

coldcomfortHeart Mon 22-Aug-11 20:04:54

Interesting- i posted about this the other day. i can really feel the oxytocin before let down,and feel sure it must be doing something good! <peace out, man>

TheRealMBJ Mon 22-Aug-11 20:28:52

<hippie emoticon>

HumptyDumpty1 Mon 22-Aug-11 21:08:49

Ooo interesting! I wondered why bf always made me feel calmer when DH decides to do my napper in grin

HeyYouJimmy Mon 22-Aug-11 22:22:08

That article makes me wonder if I was lacking it when I BF, as I felt irritated and unnerved when BF DS and DD.

TheRealMBJ Mon 22-Aug-11 23:41:26

HeyYouJimmy sorry to hear you had negative feelings during bf sad.

Does this sound familiar? just wondering because D-MER is really under-recognised and is treatable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now