Talk

Advanced search

Need to ventilate!!!

(5 Posts)
Mampig Fri 19-Aug-11 22:27:00

Apologies for long post in advance!!!
Ok so I took 7wo ds to paediatrician today to query tongue tie. Explained the probs we're having with feeding, she examined him and said no he doesn't have one... well i'm not so sure. Anyway she went on to question me about things in general and any medication i'm on. I told her about my daily antihistamine (for anaphylaxis - long story!!). Well... she went off on one about this being unsafe while bf!! It was prescribed to me by a consultant in immunology with full knowledge of me bf. So she goes off and phones him, who tells her its safe. Still not happy, she wrote to my GP and told me I had to stop bf until we knew more!!! Now being a Friday afternoon, I was supposed to just stop bf put ds onto bottles of formula until we knew more!!??(ie. weekend ahead). I was so upset, tears and everything!! So she said she would phone pharmacy and get back to me 'when she could'. I left the hospital in such a state!! She was trying to blame feeding issues on ds being sedated from the antihistamine i am taking ( to save my life btw). Head in a mess I decided to come home and do my own research. DH raging at this stage btw. Feed looming.... finally got a phone call from her saying the hospital pharmacist said that it IS safe and would be the best one for a bf mum to take as it is NON-SEDATING. So great stuff I can continue feeding, no I haven't harmed my ds but I feel so bloody angry with that DR!!!She had to admit that she 'misread' the information she had angry I never got to push the issue with TT as I was so floored by the whole episode! Rant over - oh and the biatch forgot to give me back my red book! Is it any wonder I question her non-diagnosis of TT?????

TruthSweet Fri 19-Aug-11 23:12:54

God, that sounds horrific. How awful that the Dr got you so upset and lacked any understanding of how to deal with a new mother (sensitivity and tact might be a good idea).

Perhaps you might want to speak to PALS or the hospital about her when the dust settles a bit?

A good book is Thomas Hale's Medications and Mother's Milk and it's website - Infantrisk.org and also LactMed's database (they do an app for smart phones so you can check meds on the go now wink).

Mampig Fri 19-Aug-11 23:23:57

Ah great! Thanks Truthsweet, I'll def get that app!! As for the DR, don't think i can stress myself just at the minute, but I have to go back for my red book, so You never know...! Thanks for your reply smile

TruthSweet Fri 19-Aug-11 23:35:56

I have been on the receiving end of just what you have had today, too many times to count, so I get where you are coming from, it's so difficult to go back and revisit what happened. TBH I mostly just did nothing but I did start talking back to the Drs last year wink

I once had to explain to a new Dr that if you can't take a drug orally, it can only be injected into you, it doesn't matter how much gets into my milk, the baby still can't digest it. I did ask very sarcastically if I mixed the syringe contents with a glass of milk could I take it that way - I got a no and a hmmconfused before the light dawned shock Me:grin

Mollcat Sat 20-Aug-11 10:35:20

That's awful mampig. I'm so sorry you're having such a difficult time with this and the dr sounds like a complete numpty.

Does this help? Perhaps you could print it out and pin it on the paediatrician... www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/Antihistamines_and_Breastfeeding_March_2009.pdf

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now