Talk

Advanced search

Newborn constantly feeding - help!

(9 Posts)
Charltonangel Fri 19-Aug-11 19:59:15

DD is 17 days old, and over the last week or so she has spent more and more time feeding. Today for example, she has just fallen asleep for the first time since midday. Since hen, she has been pretty much constantly either feeding or fussing (about an 80/20 split I reckon!). The midwife says her nappies are normal, and she doesn't seem fretful but I can't do anything else! Help!!!

hazchem Fri 19-Aug-11 20:05:01

relax. get someone to make you a cuppa tea and get you some yummy food. babies feed and feed and feed when they are very little. it's totally and utterly exhausting but it will pass.

Mimmee Fri 19-Aug-11 20:09:34

Hey - my DD is now 23 weeks and got like that at about 10 days. could be growth spurt in which case should only last 48 hours or so.

I'm assuming you're BF? If so could be comfort sucking as well - we introduced a dummy at about 4 weeks after an all night BF marathon which really worked for us but I know dummies aren't for everyone!

Newborns do feed little and often so you may just have to go with it for now. It is exhausting but it will settle down promise! Congratulations btw x

minimuffin Fri 19-Aug-11 20:09:43

She is nearly 3 weeks, which is a growth spurt stage, so this sounds normal to me. They feed like mad for 4 or 5 days then calm down and feeds start to space out a bit more - but it is knackering. Like Hazchem says - make sure someone's looking after you and you're eating well to keep up with her!

ohnororo Fri 19-Aug-11 20:11:58

You poor love, I remember those early weeks.. When my DS was 17 days old I don't think I left the rocking chair for longer than it took to pee. If you are breastfeeding, it's COMPLETELY normal for baby to want to feed from you constantly in these first weeks, no-one warns you and it's a complete shock but there it is..

She's establishing your milk supply, getting comfort and nourishment. It'll gradually get easier over the next few weeks and she'll develop a pattern of her own. I swore I wouldn't give baby a dummy was I was pregnant but it saved my sanity when I realised that SOME of the time he was suckling from me he just wanted comfort, not food. I'd give him his dummy then lie down with him and hold him close to me, he gradually started falling asleep like this. In the meantime give up on trying to get other stuff done, you'll drive yourself crazy. The housework can wait, just feed, sleep and eat for the next couple of weeks, this will pass...

RitaMorgan Fri 19-Aug-11 20:12:42

Is her weight gain ok? Is her latch sore for you?

It's possible that there could be some improvements made to her latch/positioning that will allow her to feed more effectively and therefore be satisfied quicker - but it could equally be just that she is 17 days old and your breast is everything she wants and needs!

Indaba Fri 19-Aug-11 20:46:15

If she is your first thus have no others to rush around after, my personal advice would be to go with it. My first was always latched on! Don't stress. Its a comfort thing. She was lovely and warm in your tummy until recently....no wonder she wants to be close.

By the time I had my third, he had to text me when wanted a feed! grin

HandMini Fri 19-Aug-11 21:38:47

I know this is an annoying thing to say, but try and make it enjoyable.

As others have said, grab a cup of tea, a huge bar of chocolate, a good book and just settle in. Don't restrict your calories or comfort at this early stage.

Chat on the phone or get a friend to come round and sit and talk. I remember the times when people were around me and I was chatting I didn't mind at all that DD was feeding round the clock as my mind was not constantly going "Oh my god, she's still feeding, how many minutes has it been, which boob, when will she stop, will I ever sleep again etc etc".

Get comfy - I always really liked breastfeeding on bed/sofa with about five pillows. Wear your dressing gown or a big cardi.

Charltonangel Fri 19-Aug-11 21:39:04

Thanks all so much - its such a relief to realise everything you go through is not just happening to me! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now