Talk

Advanced search

7 week old bf coughs and splutters and fusses during feeding

(6 Posts)
eightyone Thu 18-Aug-11 13:50:15

Sometimes he settles down after a few minutes of coughing and spluttering, other times he gets upset and grizzles and wont feed anymore.

This started about 2 weeks ago. He was very content up until then although he was feeding a lot more and for longer. I thought he had just become more efficient at feeding so takes less time.

The number of wet/dirty nappies is the same so I assume he is getting enough. Weighed him yesterday and he is still on the same %ile as he has always been.

I stopped expressing a week ago as I though it might be because of this but it is still happening. I was only expressing 3 oz a day, but thought is might be speeding up my supply? Is this possible? I was able to express quite easily from the first time I tried it with just a manual pump- 3 oz in 15 mins. I started doing this when he was 4 weeks old. Would this have had an affect? I would like to start expressing again if it is unrelated.

Is there anything I can do?

crikeybadger Thu 18-Aug-11 13:56:28

Sounds like it could be a forceful let down. Have a look at kellymom and see if anything rings a bell.

eightyone Thu 18-Aug-11 14:07:40

Thanks for that. I remember reading about this a few weeks ago but couldnt remember the term for it. Will hold off on the expressing then and hope it settles down in a few weeks.

SarahScot Sat 20-Aug-11 21:13:58

I was going to say a fast letdown too. I was advised to try feeding lying down or slouched right down to make gravity slow the letdown down a bit.

33goingon64 Sun 21-Aug-11 10:45:11

I recall this with DS. It only lasted until my supply regulated. Then you'll be worried your boobs feel empty! It's amazing how quickly things can change. Hang on in there.

LittleMilla Sun 21-Aug-11 21:39:03

Hellooo, I had this with my DS. Foreceful let down and at 15 weeks he still struggles a bit some times.

Try some different positions, I find that lying down helps with morning feeds when boobs are most full.

It has settled down a bit now. But I just make sure that DS is able to pull off when he's got too much in his mouth and let milk dribble out if needs be.

And step away from the expressing - it meant that I just got more engorged and made matters 100 times worse! Unless you need to, of course. And if so, just do a small amount at a time otherwise you'll end up with more milk that sprays all over the shop!

Our NCT BF counsellor also said that my DS has tongue tie. Although I've done nothing as he seemed able to feed OK etc and now is fine.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: