Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Weaning off Breastfeeding

(6 Posts)
SmallBlue Wed 17-Aug-11 21:01:16

I decided it was the right time for DS and I to end our breastfeeding journey, after 22 months. He has accepted it better than I expected. I've dropped down to 1 feed from 3/4 a day. It hurt for a couple of days but my milk has adjusted. Tonight, he didn't seem bothered by not having a feed, he did ask and I explained it has all gone, he moaned for a few seconds and then went off to sleep. One boob feels tender and I'm worried I will really hurt tomorrow. Any advice on how to get through the next few days of engorgement? I feel a little sad tonight but same time happy we can move on.

Mampig Wed 17-Aug-11 22:24:18

Hi there and good for u on getting so far in feeding and making this decision!! I've never gotten as far as u and someone will have better advice than me but I have dealt with engorgement with painkillers and putting cold savoy cabbage leaves in my bra grin. Lots of breast pads and perseverance. Google Epson salts as these can help disperse milk and also point the shower head on your boobs to help scatter the milk. Not sure if it's worth expressing??? Someone else here will be able to tell you smile good luck!

Cosmosis Thu 18-Aug-11 10:46:45

It’s probably a good idea to try expressing off just enough to ease the engorgement but not a full feed’s amount (as that signals your body that it needs to make more milk). Congratulations on getting so far and also on what sounds like a nice end to bfing for you both.

SmallBlue Thu 18-Aug-11 11:01:33

Thank you for your replies. I'm in a lot of pain today. Had a hot shower and wearing a nursing bra and pads. There is a lot of conflicting advice on the interent so I'm rather confused. I will express some milk off and hope it helps. I will be at the supermarket later so i will by some savoy cabbage. Did anyone feel a bit low after giving up BF? My DS wants to be close to me and have lots of cuddles but it hurts like hell!

SmallBlue Thu 18-Aug-11 11:17:35

Just read the kellymom breastfeeding website. Expressing if very uncomfortable is reccomended the best thing to do. Have used my pump 2mins each side and feel much better. I can concentrate on the day in hand now.

jaggythistle Thu 18-Aug-11 21:14:01

Hi,

I'm in the same boat with my DS who is nearly 23 months.

I felt really crap and had a little cry when I realised he was fine about it! He latches on a bit now and again, but doesn't seem to stay on for milk.

He didn't feed at all for a couple of days, then had 2 goes yesterday, and asked for it in the morning today. We do stories and cuddles in the morning instead which he seems to love.

I wasn't really trying to completely wean him, just cut out the early morning feed to see if it helped with TTC no2! It seems to have resulted in him gradually being less bothered though.

I was sore for a few days, but it has subsided now. I just hand expressed a tiny bit but mostly left them alone!

Hope you feel ok soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now