Talk

Advanced search

Making up Formula - conflicting advice

(6 Posts)
WinterLover Wed 17-Aug-11 19:21:43

So far I have been making up formula as and when needed, however having just been on the NHS website im now confused...

Keep made up formula for 24 hours in a fridge

make up formula as and when needed

Im now confused, im going out tomorrow (over a feed period) and was wondering what to do - failing that il be off to get a carton of ready made formula to take with me!

Anyone able to advise?

bettieblue Wed 17-Aug-11 19:33:12

The most up to date advice is to make up as needed. The main reason for this is a bacteria that can grow in formula powder so you have to add hot water thats at least 70c to the milk powder to ensure the bacteria is killed off. I make up the bottles like that then rapidly cool them (stick them in a jug of ice water) and then stick them in the fridge. I only make 2 at a time but they would be ok in the fridge for up to 24 hours. If im out and about i would take one of these bottles if DS feed was due in the following hour, any longer than that and I use a ready made carton.

RitaMorgan Wed 17-Aug-11 19:37:06

The best/safest thing to do is make up as needed with hot (70c) water and consume within an hour or two.

If occasionally you need to make up a bottle in advance, make it up with hot water, cool, and store - use as soon as possible but definitely within 24 hours. Not as safe as making as needed but still acceptable.

fraktious Wed 17-Aug-11 19:53:56

Carton is safest.

As and when is best for powder. Hot water plus powder then rapid cool either to drink immediately or put in fridge to minimise any bacterial growth.

Formula prepped in advance should be kept in the fridge (24hrs tops) or a cool bag (I think that's 5 hours tops but not able to link to sources so I would go by the 2 hour rule).

WinterLover Wed 17-Aug-11 20:13:19

Thanks for the replies

What was confusing was that both pages I linked was from the NHS website hmm

fraktious Wed 17-Aug-11 21:50:26

I don't think they contradict each other. Both imply that you can make in advance although one is clearer than the other and both say fresh is the ideal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now