Talk

Advanced search

My local milk bank doesn't want my spare frozen millk. I'm not going to use it. Is there anything else to do with it other than pour it down the sink? [sob]

(12 Posts)
kimberlina Tue 16-Aug-11 22:18:55

Am totally weaning DD over next 6 weeks. I have about 20 oz spare in the freezer that I can't see myself using.

It is a maximum of 4 months old.

Because DD is 10 months, the milk bank don't want it.

It seems such a waste just to bin it but not sure what else to do with it.

Any ideas?

TastyMuffins Tue 16-Aug-11 22:23:36

Can you use it on your DS's breakfast cereal or make it into rice pudding or similar?

What will your DS be drinking once weaned? Couldn't you give the frozen milk then?

kimberlina Tue 16-Aug-11 22:25:44

She already has cows milk on her cereal and will take small amounts in a beaker at snack time.

If I start giving her a drink of my frozen milk from a cup do you think that might make it difficult to get her to drink cows milk when it runs out?

lisad123 Tue 16-Aug-11 22:26:42

I would let dd drink it, use it in her foods and I have been known to use it to clear gunky eyes grin

BaronessBomburst Tue 16-Aug-11 22:36:08

I used mine to make a batch of rice pudding for DS.

I can't see that she'd refuse the cows' milk - especially if you gave her your milk one day and cows' milk the next to mix it up a bit. Or is it frozen as one block? Could you chip bits off it?

kimberlina Tue 16-Aug-11 22:37:19

I am loathe to bin it as it took so much effort to get it in the first place. (haven't managed to escape go out at bedtime as often as I thought - my social life now seems to consist totally of baby birthday parties)

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Wed 17-Aug-11 07:20:54

another bank might take it. The rules vary. I donated to chester till ds was one, even though other banks are much closer.

MigGril Wed 17-Aug-11 08:16:35

If you want to donate it try Human Milk 4 Human Babies - UK, it's a milk sharing network. Some one in need would be very greatfull I'm sure.

maygirl Wed 17-Aug-11 10:39:51

I've just donated a batch to Oxford milk bank and DD 18mths. They need it within three months of expressing.

There was another thread on here recently asking for milk donations. Will look for it

maygirl Wed 17-Aug-11 10:45:41

Oh, have seen that you already posted there! How about a night out or two before she's one!! Could help with the gradual weaning process....!

nannyl Wed 17-Aug-11 11:12:10

there was someone on here (I think) about a week or 2 ago who wanted to try breast milk for her (older) child to help with a random medical condtion, but as her child was older, obviously milk banks wouldnt let her have it.

perhaps she would like it?

nannyl Wed 17-Aug-11 11:13:18

here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now