Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Teething, sleeping and painful feeding

(2 Posts)
Birdsnotbees Tue 16-Aug-11 22:11:19

5.5 month old DD is teething - horribly. Has cut one tooth, another 3 on the way. Problem is that every time she has a rough night (i.e. most nights) she wants to go on the boob - literally all night. Not only do I not get much sleep (I usually give up and have her in bed with me but I can't really sleep), not only does she not get much sleep (wakes up every time boob falls out of her mouth) but now my boobs really hurt! Suspect she's clamping down with her new/nearly new teeth. Whatever - I have very tender nips and just can't face another all-night marathon.

She won't take a bottle. We have tried everything and are reluctantly now starting her on a cup, but clearly can't use a cup in the middle of the night. DH does try and settle her between feeds (i.e. when we know she can't possibly be hungry) but she can cry for up to two hours. We never leave her to cry. She has calpol, bonjela and sachets. All work to a degree but all also wear out through the night.

Anyway, I've posted about the lack of sleep before and this post isn't about that so much as the painful boobs! Does anyone have any advice as to how I can lessen the pain? Apart from giving up bf-ing altogether and forcing her to take a sodding bottle, that is.

Birdsnotbees Tue 16-Aug-11 22:14:37

She has been teething for around 2 months, btw. So it doesn't look like it's going to end any time soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now