Talk

Advanced search

breast feeding counsellor training

(11 Posts)
Leni75 Tue 16-Aug-11 20:11:56

I am thinking about doing a breast feeding counsellor training course, but am currently living in Germany and my German would not be good enough to do one here locally. Can you do one through the internet? Who would be the most respected? Any advice or ideas please smile

thisisyesterday Tue 16-Aug-11 20:15:41

as far as I know there are none you can do online.
you could look at local breastfeeding groups though and ask if they have any english speakers?
IME La Leche League are very friendly, and very laid-back with their training (in as much as you can take as little or as much time as you need and they are very supportive)... might be worth looking into?

can i ask though... if you cannot speak German well enough to do the course, would you be able to support local women??

crikeybadger Tue 16-Aug-11 20:40:25

Well you can do the ABM Mother Supporter training by distance learning (and you'd need to do this prior to the bfc course).

Their website is here if you fancy a ganders.

TheRealMBJ Tue 16-Aug-11 21:03:25

ABM as crikey has said...

thisisyesterday Tue 16-Aug-11 21:53:30

do you not still have to do a residential for the ABM? or at least a couple of days at a place with actual people? I vaguely remember that from when I looked into it...

twinklegreen Tue 16-Aug-11 23:57:39

I'm not sure... you have to go on the national breastfeeding helpline for 2 years after you qualify, so don't know how that would work if you were overseas.

However it is very possible to do the ABM training by correspondence smile do you think you will be returning to the UK at all?

twinklegreen Tue 16-Aug-11 23:58:14

and no you don't have to do any residential

twinklegreen Tue 16-Aug-11 23:59:43

you can update your qualification by attending the ABM conference every year OR you can do an update module by post if you wish.

KellyKettle Wed 17-Aug-11 18:10:30

If you are LLL accredited you could opt to do email support to UK mothers. I know leaders who have moved abroad and done this but I don't know anyone who has done training abroad. I would enquire if I were you. The LLL course lends itself to distance study IMO.

Good luck! smile

EauRouge Thu 18-Aug-11 09:36:05

LLL has English speaking groups in some non-English speaking countries. I would drop an email to your local LLL group and ask what they could recommend. Good luck smile

FutureNannyOgg Thu 18-Aug-11 18:25:58

If you are willing to pay for it yourself there is this option www.childbirthinternational.com/lactation/main.htm It was recommended to me, but can't vouch for it myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now