Talk

Advanced search

So are my periods coming back or not?

(9 Posts)
Bumperlicious Tue 16-Aug-11 19:54:21

Dd2 is nearly 11 mo and has mostly been sleeping through for about 2 months. Around the same time one day I got really bad pains which I thought were ovulation pains then a few weeks later felt a bit achy and yucky, and I expected my periods to return, but nothing. Once again for the past few days I've been feeling achy and yucky and a bit nauseous (but not in a morning sickness way!) and I expected my period again, but still nothing. For months I have been getting cervical mucus almost every day. Not sure what is going on with my body. Anyone experienced similar?

notnowbernard Tue 16-Aug-11 19:57:49

DS is nearly 1 and I haven't had a period yet

But after stopping bf with DD2 (at 15m) it took another 6m to get a period and then they were massively irregular...

So I haven't a clue either confused

I don't expect to get one anytime soon - but there are no more babies for me so I want to know what the health implications are of not having a regular cycle (I'm in my mid-30s)

verylittlecarrot Tue 16-Aug-11 20:21:51

Ds 18 months and no sign here yet. Not that I'm complaining. Have barely had a period since 2006 thanks to pregnancy and breastfeeding. Bonus.

Bumperlicious Tue 16-Aug-11 21:50:00

Thanks for the reply. I just feel like my period is coming, including an outcrop of spots appearing on my face hmm

MatthewWrightOffTheTelly Tue 16-Aug-11 21:54:45

Are you still feeding? My periods didn't return with DS until I stopped completely. With DD I was still feeding but think she was probably taking less. Sleeping through the night didn't make a difference for me with either of them.

Oh, obvious question - could you be pregnant?

AngelDog Tue 16-Aug-11 23:50:08

I had the aches & pains badly when DS went on nursing strike at 13 months, then they disappeared and my periods still haven't come back at 19 m.o. He does feed more often now though.

Kellymom says it's not unusual to get cyclical PMT type symptoms for weeks or even months before your periods return. The earlier your cycles return, the more gradual the return to fertility is likely to be. I think 6 months post partum classes as early (the average is 14.5 months IIRC).

notnowbernard, I'd not heard there being health implications to not having a regular cycle. My cycle has never been regular. confused I think there are advantages to having longer without having periods - reduce risk of ovarian cancer IIRC.

twinklegreen Tue 16-Aug-11 23:51:56

I got a few suspected 'periods on its way' months before mine started. It has happened the same way with all three of mine.

twinklegreen Tue 16-Aug-11 23:53:12

Oh and mine started again about 12mths, 12mths and 15mths.

Bumperlicious Wed 17-Aug-11 19:28:02

Sounds like it's quite normal then. I'm fairly sure I'm not pg. We haven't had sex for about 6 months and my body doesn't take pregnancy lying down so I think I'd know if I was!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now