Talk

Advanced search

expressed milk - wwyd?

(8 Posts)
MedicalEd Tue 16-Aug-11 16:43:12

A bag of expressed milk has leaked as it defrosted. I put it in a pot (clean but not sterilised) until I could get a bottle sterilised and then put it all in the bottle and in the fridge with the lid on.
So technically I have a bottle of not strictly sterile milk for my DH to use tonight (very kindly giving me a night of full sleep).
DD is 5.5 months.
Would you use it or throw it away and start again?
angry at stupid bm bags, second one to have leaked...

worldgonecrazy Tue 16-Aug-11 16:47:51

I would offer it to your LO. I always found that DD would not drink milk that had gone off. Breastmilk, even after freezing, contains natural sterilisers which will kill any nasty bugs.

Yesmynameis Tue 16-Aug-11 16:48:47

Sorry, I take it that you have disgarded the milk which had actually leaked out? So you are just left with what was left in the bag, but you are concerned because the bag was no longer airtight?

Where was the bag defrosting? It wasn't in warm water or anything like that which could have got into the bag?

Ha ha, sorry this is not meant to be an interogation smile

MedicalEd Tue 16-Aug-11 16:56:12

I put what was left in the bag in the sterile bottle but the whole bag was sitting in a pot for a few minutes while I got a bottle ready so I am not sure whether milk was going in and out of the leaky hole (which was so tiny I couldn't see it).
It defrosted on the worktop in the kitchen in about an hour.

RitaMorgan Tue 16-Aug-11 17:01:49

I'm impressed that you have got to 5.5 months and never given your baby anything from an unsterilised bottle! I stopped sterilising bottles by 3 months and never sterilised sippy cups or food bowls.

Yesmynameis Tue 16-Aug-11 17:10:55

If it was me, I probably would still give it.

The pot was clean and if milk was leaking out a bit I think it's unlikely that anything got back in.

I know some people don't sterlise their breast pumps etc and I can't see this is any different.

MedicalEd Tue 16-Aug-11 17:18:57

thank you everyone. She is my PFB so you just try to do everything right don't you.
She has started very gentle weaning, just fruit and veg purees and some cooled boiled water in yes, you got it, a sterilised sippy cup so I guess her gut has been exposed to some bugs.
And I guess if the milk was off she would just refuse it and DH will have to wake me up!
She takes so much from the bottle (more than 300ml usually), even though DH is really careful with his technique, that it takes me 3 days to pump that much so loathed to ditch it.

buttonmoon78 Tue 16-Aug-11 18:03:04

It will be fine. The pressure in the bag means that the flow will be outward not inward. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now