Talk

Advanced search

Late morning and mid-afternoon feeds - what did you LO drop first?

(15 Posts)
Ineedcake Mon 15-Aug-11 16:20:57

Hello!

My DS is 9.5 months old now and on 4 breastfeeds a day - first thing in the morning, 11am-ish, 3pm-ish and then bedtime at 7.

I just wondered what other people found when it came to dropping the daytime feeds? I'm happy to go with the flow and feed him as much as he wants, but I've had a few comments recently that he's still having a lot of milk for his age hmm. He was a 'feed every 2 hours' baby before we started solids so 4 feeds a day still seems amazing to me!

He's on 3 meals a day and eats well, although I don't really push snacks on him (maybe some breadsticks/ricecakes with his am and pm milk feeds).

He is up in the night at least once (more often twice) and I feed him back to sleep too.

TIA

mumatron Mon 15-Aug-11 16:23:32

My ff dd has been in a similar routine to that and she has just started to drop her mod morning feed. She could probably go without the mid. afternoon one too but I think she likes the comfort of it Tbh.

Ineedcake Mon 15-Aug-11 16:48:23

How old is your dd now mumatron?

mumatron Mon 15-Aug-11 17:00:39

She's only 7 months, but she is a big baby. She loves her food.

birdofthenorth Mon 15-Aug-11 17:06:29

DD is 11.5 months & still has both given the chance! I try to distract her/ offer water late morning now but sometimes I cave. Or offer a solid snack. But her preference is still breast milk.

Seona1973 Mon 15-Aug-11 17:28:12

ds was bottle fed and his mid-morning feed went first at around 9 months. It got replaced with a snack and drink of water. His mid-afternoon one went around 10 1/2 months and again he had a snack and drink instead

BenRoo Mon 15-Aug-11 19:42:24

Hi,
My DS has exactly the same routine as your LO, including the night feeds *yawn
He sometimes misses either of those feeds with out a problem depending on where we are and how distracted he is. He only has the afternoon feed at nursery on the days I work so I assume that the mid morning feed is more than likely just a comfort feed!
I have been wondering the same tho,when will he drop the day feeds,as I think our breastfeeding journey will come to an end once he's one year old.

Ineedcake Mon 15-Aug-11 20:00:13

Thanks for the replies everyone, very interesting!

Seona (and others) what kind of thing do you offer as snacks? Wonder if I need to offer him something more substantial...

BenRoo I start work in 6 weeks so I am expecting he'll drop the morning feed too and then I'll feed him when I get home late afternoon if he needs it. I guess I'm worried that if I encourage him to drop feeds in the day he'll be up in the night even more! Yawn indeed!

Seona1973 Mon 15-Aug-11 20:03:18

some fruit or a biscuit or some yoghurt were the snacks that we gave (or mix and match and give a bit of each)

RitaMorgan Mon 15-Aug-11 20:25:50

My 12 month old still has mid-morning and mid-afternoon feeds, and hasn't really dropped them. Some days he skips some though, or has a cup of milk instead of a breastfeed, depending on what we are doing and how busy we are (and whether we are together at the time).

If your DS is 11 months when you go back to work then he'll probably just feed when he's with you and have snacks/cups of milk while at childcare. I wouldn't worry about pushing him to drop feeds personally.

AngelDog Mon 15-Aug-11 20:55:32

18 m.o. DS still often has both - about 5-10 feeds a day.

Children know what they need - some need more, some need less: same as adults really. I wouldn't worry about it. smile

KathMCB Mon 15-Aug-11 21:01:16

My 9.5 month old has one at 7am, has just dropped 11am (has a yogurt or fruit) and then a big BF at around 2 or 3pm and then a huge one at 7pm and then maybe twice in the night depending on teething etc. I think he would probably drop the 3pm but I like him to keep up the milk. He takes what he needs I reckon. Are you co-sleeping?

Ineedcake Mon 15-Aug-11 21:23:59

Thanks RitaMorgan and AngelDog, that's what I thought. Will just nod and smile at the comments about how much he's still feeding (normally from my mum - love her to bits but grrr).

Not co-sleeping KathMCB, unless he's poorly and clingy and then I bring him in to bed with me, but otherwise he's happy in his cot. His night wakings vary quite a bit at the mo - sometimes up at 11pm and 3am, sometimes just one or the other, sometimes sleeps through till 5am. Sure it will all keep changing smile He's a windy little thing and I think that causes him to wake a lot!

Yesmynameis Tue 16-Aug-11 18:05:22

My nearly 10mo DD has 3 or 4 bf during the day (lately more often 3) and usually one more at night or early morning. She has 3 good meals of solids a day, but we don't bother with snacks. What with the time it takes her to eat, nap, bf, there's just no time in the day left!

At lot of people are a bit shock with me too, when I say she is having all these feeds. But I don't get why there's such a big race to drop day time milk feeds tbh. Think the CLB routines are to blame smile

Ineedcake Wed 17-Aug-11 19:57:30

No I don't get the race to drop feeds either Yesmynameis and I think each baby is different/needs different amounts like the others have said.

We're in a nice little routine at the moment so I'm just going to try and enjoy it before it changes! It's reassuring to know others are still feeding 'a lot' too wink

I'm going to try him on a bit of formula in the day soon though as we're going on holiday and it would be nice to not have to worry about finding somewhere to feed if we're out and about/making sure I'm wearing suitable tops. I wonder how he'll take to formula - that's a whole different thread heh? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now