Talk

Advanced search

When to stop infacol??

(7 Posts)
iloveholidays Mon 15-Aug-11 14:38:08

My DD2 is nearly 5 months old. I've been using infacol since about 2 months because she always seemed very windy during the night and it made her very unsettled.

It has helped get more wind up, however I've tried to stop using it as much and tend to just give it to her at night but now I'm struggling to get any burps up - it seems harder than it was before!!! I'm worried she's got reliant on it... does this happen? If so, any advise how to wean her off? Will she learn quickly how to burp without the assistance?

Thanks in advance

buttonmoon78 Mon 15-Aug-11 15:32:23

Is she still very bothered by her wind? Or could it simply be that she is no longer in need in the same way?

iloveholidays Mon 15-Aug-11 16:14:25

No, I wouldn't say she's bothered by her wind, but its now really really hard to get a burp up which isn't much fun at 3am!! Not sure how to help her burp without it.

iloveholidays Mon 15-Aug-11 16:16:25

...if I didn't get her to burp she'd be screaming half hour later or sick...

buttonmoon78 Mon 15-Aug-11 17:20:13

Ah I see. I wondered if it was a maturity thing ie she had outgrown the need. Perhaps not though. Sorry - I don't know the answer! Is she on 2 droppers or one?

bilblio Mon 15-Aug-11 18:03:35

We tried to take DD off it at 14 weeks. She was fine for a day, then turned into a screaming banshee! She went back on it for 2 more weeks then was fine.
We had to give it DD at every feed. Once a day wouldn't have worked.

Have you thought of trying gripe water instead. If she's not needing it at every feed then she probable doesn't need it, especially at 5 months, I think they normally suggest colic eases between 3 and 4 months.

Gripe water is a bit stronger and might just cure the problem in the night.

iloveholidays Tue 16-Aug-11 11:22:28

I tend to use two droppers, but going to start reducing that to one.

Bilblio - I don't think she really had colic, just struggled to get wind up. She is absolutely fine if she burps, but now just can't seem to get a burp up if she doesn't have infacol. I can get a burp up... but it can take an hour or so!! Not much fun during the night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now