Talk

Advanced search

BF a 12 month old are there any combination pills I can take

(3 Posts)
littlesqualker Mon 15-Aug-11 12:32:59

I know the combined pill is not suitable for breastfeeding in the first six months as it can reduce supply. Can I take it after a year my little one is only feeding once or twice per day. Does the pill affect the baby? I have been on the mini pill for the past four months and is not agreeing with me I feel terrible, constant heavy periods etc.

Seona1973 Mon 15-Aug-11 17:31:39

I dont think they are dangerous for your lo but can affect supply.

www.kellymom.com/health/meds/birthcontrol.html

BertieBotts Mon 15-Aug-11 18:51:00

Agreed - my doctor did warn me it might affect supply, but it doesn't affect the baby - it's the same hormones as you'd produce while pregnant anyway, and it's safe to tandem feed. So, it's a gamble really. You can go on the pill and risk losing supply, or stick it out for a bit longer until you are happy to take that risk. Personally I did notice a bit of supply difference. I could feel the milk being drawn quite uncomfortably through the ducts which apparently happens when you have a toddler with a very efficient suck and they haven't fed for a while - or your supply goes down for another reason - and they are actually sucking faster than the milk is produced, so you get droplets rather than enough milk to coat the inside of the duct, if that makes sense. But I kept feeding through this and it soon passed, so I haven't found it has had an effect long term.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now