Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help! I'm ill and my breastmilk has dried up!

(8 Posts)
MrsGillerz Mon 15-Aug-11 12:01:42

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or could offer any advice.

Last week I became really ill with flu like symptoms, and as it turns out, I have tonsillitis. It got worse before it has started to get better, and now my milk supply seems to have dwindled to nearly nothing because I was dehydrated. I usually breastfeed my 12 month old to sleep, but now he just seems to be comfort sucking which is quite painful for me.

How can I break the bedtime breastfeed habit so suddenly?

AppleAndBlackberry Mon 15-Aug-11 12:26:52

I think if you keep feeding the milk will probably come back, but if it's too painful then maybe try offering milk in a cup instead and see how it goes?

WoTmania Mon 15-Aug-11 15:35:24

It might be someting else, IME nipple pain when BF an older baby can be due to:
Teething
ovulation
period
lazy latch
pregnancy (could you be pg?)

Megfox Mon 15-Aug-11 17:05:32

All this hype around breast-feeding......I don't get it!

Breast-feeding was never more than a painful, unpleasant, inconvenient and messy experience for me.

Breast is Best......Do me a favour.....!

TheRealMBJ Mon 15-Aug-11 17:44:14

That's hardly helpful or called for Megfox sad

MrsGillerz it is a lot more likely to be either due to a hormonal thing (ovulation/pregnancy etc) or because your DS has become lazy with his latch.

How long has it been uncomfortable for now and is there any evidence of damage? Could you be ovulating or pregnant?

TheRealMBJ Mon 15-Aug-11 17:45:51

This might be of interest

CamperFan Mon 15-Aug-11 18:45:15

That's helpful Megfox, what a strange comment to add.

OP, I also had tonsillitis last week and a couple of times I did wonder if my milk might be affected. What makes you think that he is just comfort sucking? Because it has suddenly become painful? Have you had antibiotics? Can you no longer feel a let down? Do you want to stop bfing now or not?

MrsGillerz Wed 17-Aug-11 19:41:43

Thanks for all your helpful comments! Think the problem may have resolved itself though. Feeling a bit better now, and have been giving DS a beaker of follow-on milk before I give him his bedtime feed. Seems to be working as he's settling much better now, and doesn't just seem to be sucking for ages at nothing when I feed him. I do still have a little milk, so I'm confident my supply will recover over time.
I'll stop breastfeeding him when he's ready and not before!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now