Talk

Advanced search

Milk at 6m +

(6 Posts)
Ama28 Sun 14-Aug-11 19:54:44

So i was watching the tv and the ad for SMA follow on milk came on - enter the smiling mother, with her assumingly 6 month+ old son in her arms, she hands him a bottle and he drinks the milk.

From going to baby group, they seemed to encourage that from 6m+ you give milk in a trainer cup!

Whats the general thing to do then - cups in the day, bottles for bed, or just continue with bottles? Till what age?!!

Also, one other milky question, when babies are being weaned from 6m+ they are supposed to have like a certain amount of milk, i cant remember exactly what the HV was saying but its something like 1 or 2 pints, and this would be of formula, as i ff. Would it be an idea, to just make up like a jugs worth of the milk - and if i am using trainer cups, just fill it up throughout the day? Anyone done this? Any tips for ff milk from 6m+

JustLea Sun 14-Aug-11 21:32:41

Hi,

My Son is 11 months old and he has 3 or 4 bottles (8 Ounces) of SMA follow on milk in 24 hours although he doesnt drink the full 8 ounces. The tin suggests to start them on 6 ounces and obviously up it by 1 ounce when they start finishin all their bottles.

I started to use a trainer cup with water/juice durin the day but as he dont quite tilt his head back enough yet, I have stayed with usin bottles for milk.

I'am first time mum and I have never took advice from a HV. They treat your child as a statistic, you know your child best and you'll know when your child is ready for his/hers next step smile

Best wishes
xxx

shuckleberryfinn Sun 14-Aug-11 22:47:57

My impression is that the bottle is an advertising ploy. So you associate favourable with that brand should you choose to FF your young baby.

Far as I recall it was a pint of milk from 1 year, that included all dairy and milk used in cereals, dinner etc.

I think my little one didnt take to a cup at 6 months but gradually by about 11 months he was using a spouted cut. Take what your HV says under advisement, weigh it up against other information sources and do what you think is best I say.

lilham Sun 14-Aug-11 22:53:49

I think you can just continue with a bottle but offer a cup of water/juice with meals. It's usually bf mums who teach their babies cup feeding early because a lot of bf babies refuse bottles sad

Follow on milk is a gimmick. Have you noticed there isn't any ads for the first stage milk? It's because they aren't allowed to advertise formula so they advertise the follow on. Formula is a created to mimic breastmilk. If you are bf, you'll continue to bf while weaning, until you can give cows milk at 1yo. So as a ff mum, you can just continue with the stage 1 formula. You can google follow on milk and find out more if you want to be informed about this.

Seona1973 Mon 15-Aug-11 17:37:18

it is advised to introduce a cup from 6 months (I started by offering a cup of water with meals) and to stop using bottles by 1 year. (dd was using a cup for milk by 15 months and ds was 11 months old when he took all feeds from a cup). I used to make the formula up in the bottle and then transfer it to a cup so that I got the measurements correct. Up to 1 year a minimum of 20oz (approx 600mls) is recommended and from 1 year a minimum of 350mls (approx 12oz) is recommended. These amounts include milk in cereal and in foods and other dairy products

Seona1973 Mon 15-Aug-11 17:39:45

p.s. I did switch to follow on milk as it was a bit cheaper and you can get offers on it unlike first milk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now