Talk

Advanced search

2 Week old grazing

(5 Posts)
beckieperk Sun 14-Aug-11 09:07:36

Hi everyone - this is my first time on here and would really like some friendly advice. My newborn is feeding between 40 and 120 ml every 2 hours and I have no idea how to know which to expect at each feed. On average he takes between 550 and 700 ml a day and I cannot seem to make him go longer between feeds or get him to take more at each sitting if he doesn't feel like it. Generally he falls asleep whilst feeding and I find it really hard to then wind him properly or continue to feed. Any ideas? Or am I worrying unneccesarily? Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

HandMini Sun 14-Aug-11 09:22:35

I think you're worrying unneccessarily. Two weeks is so little that he/she will still be finding his feet in terms of feeding times/amounts. I think you should let your LO continue grazing like this and he/she will establish a more stretched out pattern of their own in time.

Mampig Sun 14-Aug-11 11:14:52

Hi and congratssmile!! Don't worry. His tummy is so small he can only handle small amounts each feed. Maybe try winding him more frequently and infacol helps with wind. He could be so full of wind there's no room for food? In time he will take more and his feeds will stretch out. You could also try to extend time between feeds by distraction- if he wants it after 2 hours, add on 15 mins by distracting him- walking, car ride etc, then next day add another 15 and so on ... Good luck- he'll find his feet in no time grin

beckieperk Sun 14-Aug-11 18:04:17

Thank you so much for your replies. I think like most first time new mums I just need a little reassurance too. I will try the distraction techniques suggested and see how we get on! I want to make sure I am doing the right thing by Joshua also and not over/under feeding him. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated....keep em coming. confused

tiktok Sun 14-Aug-11 18:14:43

But why distract? This is a normal pattern for a new baby - distraction techniques are just not appropriate for a 2 week old baby who needs to have his needs responded to. It can seem unpredictable and a bit crazy but there is nothing wrong and it sorts itself out in time smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now