Talk

Advanced search

4 wo screaming

(9 Posts)
jenna13 Sun 14-Aug-11 08:46:12

Hi
Bf had been going really well but my dd has started screaming and throwing herself about when she needs feeding, she won't latch on even though she's trying to. She only does this during the day and in the evening, she's fine for her night feeds. Itsmaking it really difficult to feed her. Anyone any idea's why she is suddenly doing this? And is there anything I can do to make it better?

HandMini Sun 14-Aug-11 08:49:45

Does this begin as soon as she latches on? Do you know if you have a very fast let down (ie milk flow) which could be making her feel choked?

jenna13 Sun 14-Aug-11 09:30:38

Once she's on she always falls off coughing and I spray milk everywhere then she screams some more. But she also screams and scratches and throws herself about before she starts feeding. Don't know what to do! sad

Janeymax Sun 14-Aug-11 09:36:40

Not sure what to suggest. Call bf association?

HandMini Sun 14-Aug-11 11:22:11

Its sounds like you have plenty of milk, so why not express some into a bottle to have on standby just in case her latch problem goes on for a little while today. Don't be disheartened though, as it may just be an off day for her. As Janey said, perhaps a breastfeeing helpline today and then do you have any midwife/BF drop in centres you could go to on Monday?

HandMini Sun 14-Aug-11 11:23:08

Cld you also try expressing off a bit of milk first so you're not actually spraying/dripping, then trying to get her to latch? Also perhaps try dark, quiet room in case she's distracted/overstimulated. Good luck.

Squirtypants Sun 14-Aug-11 14:21:12

Hi Jenna,
This happened to me too at 4 weeks....but it didn't last too long. Baby was messing about, crying and not latching on. I think, for us, it was a combination of me having fast flowing milk and a bit of reflux. I found it helped to take her away from the boob (more crying for a few seconds) then bringing her back. Also I was burping her more often as I think the fast milk filled her up quickly with air trapped. She burps like a fully grown man!!
I hope you find a solution that works for you. Mine now loves the fast milk and gets frustrated by the slower milk later on in the feed!!

FirstVix Sun 14-Aug-11 16:06:06

Try lying down in a darkened room (I use the bedroom)? During the day - especially when it's really bright - I still have to do this now at 13 weeks.

For us it also is a combination of fast flow (expressing doesn't really help this), overstimulation and now teething!

Also try switching from breast to breast - I have one that DD prefers during the day (the slower one) and the other she prefers at night so I start on the least prefered and then switch (and keep doing so until DD's had enough). This sometimes works (wind in between) and if it doesn't, upstairs we go!

jenna13 Sun 14-Aug-11 16:13:45

Thanks think I'll try all the suggestions, hopefully might have a better evening

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now