Talk

Advanced search

Bf and infacol

(7 Posts)
poppygolucky Fri 12-Aug-11 18:05:56

Started giving DD (7 weeks) infacol a few days ago as she seemed excessively windy, although by no means screaming etc. However she seems worse now! She's fussing on and off during feeds, is quite sickly and generally more unsettled. HV said I should keep giving her in ad it has a cumulative effect. She said that once you start giving infacol, you can't stop as baby becomes reliant on it to get their wind up.
What are others' experiences with infacol? Should I persevere or stop giving it? TIA

Secondtimelucky Fri 12-Aug-11 19:14:42

I don't know about the main problem, but it is cumulative over a few days. Although I've also read Infacol is not particularly evidence supported. I'd say it's bollocks that they become reliant on it. How is that even possible - if that were the case surely babies would continue needing it as long as they were milk fed, whereas most people stop by three months or so anyway.

We gave it to DD1 for a while. Did bugger all so we stopped. What helped was a fairly enthusiastic jiggle on our knee (holding her head!), rather than a back rub or pat.

midori1999 Fri 12-Aug-11 19:38:39

I gave it to DD from about 2 weeks old. It did seem to work better after a few days of giving every feed. Took DD off it a week ago at 7 weeks to see how she'd be without it as she'd seemed less windy and she's fine without it now.

SpannerPants Fri 12-Aug-11 20:42:59

We were using it with DS (4weeks) but stopped about 5 days ago after I read somewhere it can make babies more sicky. Since stopping he's been sick much less and I haven't noticed a difference when winding him. We also find that jiggling on a knee or holding upright over a shoulder more effective for getting the wind up.

lilham Fri 12-Aug-11 21:28:44

I don't think they can become reliant on it. I used it with my EBF DD and it did seem to make it better. I stopped using it when she's 3mo. Their guts supposedly to mature a lot better for wind once they are 3mo so I figured I'll stop at that point. She's not got any wind problem since. (She's 5mo now).

poppygolucky Sat 13-Aug-11 11:15:23

Thanks for the replies folks! Think I'm going to stop giving her it and try different methods for getting her wind up. smile

pinkgirlythoughts Sat 13-Aug-11 15:03:40

I stopped giving it to DS after 2 days- it made him more sicky, the infacol around his mouth stopped him from latching on so well (made him too slippery!) and I didn't think it actually made any difference to getting his wind up. I know lots of people that swear by it, though, so I think it depends on the baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now