Talk

Advanced search

22 month old bf guzzler

(5 Posts)
redsun Thu 11-Aug-11 22:48:27

OK I think he has calmed down, but I've just been through about 2 weeks of non stop bfing when I am around.

Mon to Fri I work FT. I feed in the morning when I get up at 5 am and bf again when I get back in the evenings, around 7.30 pm.

But I've had:

1)5am-bf my toddler til 6.30 am Then I work.
2) Get home around 7.30 pm and bf toddler for 45 mins as soon as I get in the door.
3) Then I bf 2 other times during the night (usually 1am and THEN 3 am) then it all starts again at 5am.

Today it was just 3 feeds. One aT 5am. Another shorter feed at 7am, and one long feed at 8pm.

So I think it has calmed down. But anyone know if the constant feeding was some of growth spurt, or just part of his usual big appetite?

You know what I am so tired I am going to crash out.

royaljelly Fri 12-Aug-11 01:31:56

He sounds like my greedy guts daughter. She breast fed so much(Every 2 hours) that at 8 mths I was so drained i couldn't take any more.

You are should introduce him to the bottle with breast milk first.. ( If he gets to being over 2 then cut it out completely), I f he is hungry he will accepct formula.

I would start weaning on foods you have at the dining table... ( my daughter acccepted beef stew before formula milk) even as young as 4 mths when breast feeding.

Cut out night time feeds, but make sure they eat (anything) in the evening meal time with you. It will take a few weeks but eventually your toddler will be used to NOT having a night feed.

You may get a toddler that eats more 'food' than milk like myself; As long as they eat with the rest of the family or have around the same 'hunger times' you should be able to manage feeds; Although active toddlers will need more.

Eventually after dinner all your toddler will need is a drink and bed.

AngelDog Fri 12-Aug-11 08:04:31

I'd guess a growth spurt, developmental spurt or something going on which has unsettled him - after all, it's as much for reassurance as nutrition at this age.

ChutesTooNarrow Fri 12-Aug-11 12:27:34

Mine is like this. Also 22 months. He has always bf a lot (endlessly over night hmm) but he has ramped up demand in the last week or two. I think it is a growth spurt; his appetite for other food has increased and he is growing so speedily that he is tripping over himself like a gangly foal. Am just grinning and bearing it atm whilst teetering slightly on the edge. Lots of sympathy for you redsun, such a demand on you is hard.

redsun Sat 13-Aug-11 21:55:16

Thank you all - well today went well - a lovely day out and only a feed in the morning and 2 feeds and now some peace. Up until today it does seem like all I do is bfeed and work. grin

Thank you all - I will try stop the night feeds - easier said than done though.

Royaljelly - I am so glad to hear from someone else who had a 2hr feeder like mine. It does get pretty tiring.

I have taken some work home this weekend as I am worried I did not do enough on Friday because I was so tired from night feeding.

I am just lying on the couch wondering how I am going to cope if this keeps going on like this. Also the house work - just as well DH is kind of saint like. (Actually I don't know why I worry about the housework - I bfeed and DH does the housework). However, I don't have my clothes all ready and washed and all that jazz so I need to usually have that done by today so that the rest of my working week is manageable.

I think the OTT bfing may be for reassurance and my toddler loves saying 'mummies milkies ok' and then 'again again again mummies milkies yay!' and then I get these loud 'um yum' noises while feeding. I love my food and I used to survive on very little sleep so I think I may just have a mini me on my hands.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now