Talk

Advanced search

My tommee tippee breast pumps broken! What do I do?

(12 Posts)
MotherPanda Thu 11-Aug-11 18:18:43

Hello - My Tommee Tippee electric breast pump seems to be dying - I've been using it for two weeks, and today milk started shooting up the air pipe, so i stopped and cleaned and sterilised it and started again - but now theres no suction, took my breasts ages to let down and i think i was just dripping into the pump the same as i would do without.

Can i return it, and do i return it to tommee tippee or toys r us? I don't have the receipt anymore - but think i paid for it on my card, so would a bank statement work as proof of purchase?

Should I get a replacement or ask for a refund - i've since found out that this is a common fault so dont really want it to happen again.

Is there a better breast pump i should look at - its for fairly heavy usage as my baby can't yet latch on, so half her feeds are with using nipple shields and half are with expressed milk.

Thank you!

harverina Thu 11-Aug-11 22:14:40

Hi Motherpanda, my breastpump broke after 9 months and I took it back to Babies R Us. I had a receipt though and they swapped it with very little issue. There was no suction.

I think that you should try and take your pump back to the shop with your bank statement and see what they say. I know that some shops will accept a bank statement for proof of purchase - no harm in asking for a different brand if you know that this is a common problem but think that legally, without proof of purchase they probably dont even have to give you an exchange.

I use a medela swing and previously used the medela mini and have found both to be good but there are lots of brands to chose from. I know that the Avent pump has had good reviews in magazines etc.

On a different note, are you getting help with your lacth problems?

harverina Thu 11-Aug-11 22:22:09

I should have also said, hand expressing can be quite effective and is more gentle on your breasts.

cockle84 Thu 11-Aug-11 23:26:30

I had a problem with my pump so I emailed tommee tippee from their website and got a replacement part sent first class, no proof of purchase needed-they'd rather that than get bad press about their products.

MotherPanda Fri 12-Aug-11 13:14:30

thanks guys - will try babies r us and then will try tommee tippee then.

i've tried hand expressing but don't really get on with it - so slow!

we are getting help with the latch - the breastfeeding support people reckon my dd needs to get a little bit older and then we can try again. she's just over 2 weeks old now, and has a tiny little mouth - milk seems to ooze out the sides even with a bottle so hopefully she will 'grow into' my breasts.

thank you smile

Cosmosis Fri 12-Aug-11 13:52:49

Check the bit where the milk drips in to the bottle, there is a little plastic flap there, if that’s not working properly or is missing the milk either shoots up the air pipe or you don’t get any suction.

HTH

MotherPanda Fri 12-Aug-11 17:28:02

thanks cosmosis - will check the flappy bit is on properly.

jandmmum Sat 13-Aug-11 06:01:03

I had exactly the same problem with my Tommy Tippee pump, after only about 2 weeks. Got mine from Argos and took it back with bank statement as had lost receipt. Asked for refund as I also found this is a common fault. They gave me a credit on a gift card rather than cash but that was fine as I bought a power washer instead! I ended up hand expressing, since at the time DD was struggling to bf directly, I actually found the hand expressing quicker and more productive if not a bit more messy.

hazeyjane Sat 13-Aug-11 06:35:00

I would call Tommy Tippee, they have very good customer service.

However, if you plan on long term expressing, definitely look at a Medela, they are a lot kinder and more efficient, IME.

MotherPanda Sat 13-Aug-11 14:48:58

medela swing does look good.. will have to save my pennies.

thank you guys smile

izzybizzybuzzybees Sat 13-Aug-11 14:54:33

If your looking for a new pump the spectra from amazon is fab and a great price

MotherPanda Sat 13-Aug-11 14:57:14

havn't heard of the spectra - i'll have a look now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now