Talk

Advanced search

Paracetamol AND ibuprofen?

(12 Posts)
midori1999 Thu 11-Aug-11 15:58:09

Is it safe to take both of these at the same time while BF please?

Thankyou.

TheFrozenMBJ Thu 11-Aug-11 17:03:06

Yes, provided you do not exceed the recommended dose and frequency.

Breastfeeding Network's fact sheet on pain killers and bf

fizzypigs Thu 11-Aug-11 19:54:22

That's what I've been told by midwife to take for stitches. Pharmacist was funny about it but double checked with hospital and said it was fine.

twinklegreen Thu 11-Aug-11 19:55:10

Yes it's fine smile

jenniec79 Thu 11-Aug-11 20:05:50

Absolutely fine

Do make sure its not a funny formulation that has other stuff in it though!

AngelDog Thu 11-Aug-11 22:47:09

Yes, but preferably take alternately e.g. paracetemol, then ibuprofen a couple of hours later, rather than both at once. At least, that's what I've been told by a couple of doctors.

Icanonlytry Fri 12-Aug-11 07:06:29

Can you take ibruprofen when breastfeeding? Have had the most awful toothache (which was made worse after seeing the dentist but thats another story) and have only been taking paracetamol because I didnt think I could take ibruprofen, sure you were advised not to whuen I had Dd although she is 8 so a lot of things have changed since then, hope I can because I am in agony sad

FloraFinching Fri 12-Aug-11 07:08:19

yes
my pharmacist checked the BNF for me when i had a horrible dental infection

TimeWasting Fri 12-Aug-11 11:31:20

Don't take anything like Sudafed or Lemsip though, decongestants affect supply.

TheFrozenMBJ Fri 12-Aug-11 13:04:57

Check out the fact sheet I linked to and they have others for other commonly used meds too smile

CamperFan Fri 12-Aug-11 15:07:49

I've been taking ibuprofen and paracetamol for 4 days now, alternately.

Mimmee Fri 12-Aug-11 15:58:04

I took both when DD newborn on recommendation of midwife as I had a blocked milk duct - paracetomol for the pain and ibuprofen for the inflammation. Just took the normal stuff rather than "express" or anything with caffeine in and it was fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now