Talk

Advanced search

Shocked at Dr's comment on BF my 10 month old

(13 Posts)
Islandgirllk Thu 11-Aug-11 12:18:18

On Monday I went to the Dr as I knew I had a urine infection. Anyway, when he said I need antibiotics I said 'I'm still breastfeeding' (my 10 month old daughter). He responded with 'Isn't she getting a bit old for that now, you must be sore?'.

What? I was so shocked I didn't know what to say apart from 'No'.

Sore? - maybe in the first few weeks but Mums that have been feeding as long as 10 months don't tend to be sore, do we (unless you count teething problems)?! And as for 'too old' - 10 months, I wouldn't say so!

I am so amazed that he said this, I've been thinking about it all week and had to get it off my chest.

If our health professionals actually knew anything about breastfeeding maybe we'd have a healthier nation of predominantly breastfed babies?

ChunkyPickle Thu 11-Aug-11 12:26:14

Nah - I mentioned on another thread the HV talking to my sister and exclaiming how sorry she was for women who's babies are born with teeth because feeding with teeth must hurt.... If my 11 month old hadn't made a bolt for the door I'd have enlightened her that he only bites when he's being a wotsit (and he did that with gums too) - when hungry he's far to busy sucking to let his teeth get near

I suppose I thought the same before I found myself in the position, but HCP really should make the effort to be informed.

Thumbwitch Thu 11-Aug-11 12:26:38

EVen doctors can be ignoramuses, male AND female ones. These things are outside their understanding sometimes. And they don't have time to read the latest updates on information a lot of the time.

midori1999 Thu 11-Aug-11 12:39:38

What is really sad is that a lady on another forum I use was told by her midwife she might have thrush, so she saw her GP who prescribed canesten cream. It didn't work, so she went back to the GP, with the BFN sheet on thrush. The GP said she didn't have thrush and that BF was very hard and it was fine if she wanted to change to FF.

She went back to see a different GP, who wouldn't prescribe the medication mentioned on the BFN sheet and told her maybe it would be best to stop BF as it was so hard and FF was fine and would be easier.

The poor woman had made the decision to give up by 3 weeks. sad

Is it any wonder so many women give up when there's no help or advice for them and when health professionals are so ignorant. angry

AngelDog Thu 11-Aug-11 12:48:58

I'd write a letter to the practice manager complaining. The WHO recommends bf 'frequently and on-demand' until age 2, and beyond if desired. The NHS guidelines say exclusive bf till 6 months, then continue alongside solid foods (they don't give a suggested minimum length of time after that).

PacificDogwood Thu 11-Aug-11 12:54:12

I am very saddened and angry at your stories, IslandGirl and midori, but unfortunately not surprised.

I am a GP, I have been qualified since 1992 and until I breast fed, had all sorts of problem, had rubbish advice from all sorts of HCP (Drs, HVs, BF 'supporters' ffs), I had never appreciated that absoultely none of my training had given me any understanding of BFing other than that it was A Good Thing.

Hopefully, things will change in the future, but it may take another generation of Drs before there might be real progress tbh.
sad

RitaMorgan Thu 11-Aug-11 12:54:57

It's pretty shocking how little family doctors know about feeding babies.

I'd write and complain too, the GP was contradicting the advice that babies need breastmilk for at least 12 months and what he was suggesting (stopping breastfeeding) would compromise your baby's health. He needs to read up on NHS guidelines.

JustFiveMinutesHAHAHA Thu 11-Aug-11 13:10:03

I agree with PacificDogwood - sad & angry but not suprised.

<Thought I'm not a GP - don't want to lead anyone up the garden path with that assumption!>

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Thu 11-Aug-11 13:17:39

i second angeldog's suggestion that a letter to the practice manager is in order.

EauRouge Thu 11-Aug-11 13:45:04

And I third it! The GP ought to be made award of WHO recommendations and that, yes, they do apply to the UK and not just Third World countries.

buttonmoon78 Thu 11-Aug-11 15:12:30

I'd just like to say that I'm having the opposite experience at the moment smile

Got mastitis after a blocked duct, 26day old ds got prolonged jaundice and is slow to gain weight. Some of the professionals are utterly hopeless, yes, but my current MW, HV, GP (all 3 at our practice) and the local bf helpline have been great. Very helpful, very knowledgable and are currently refusing to share the hospital's concern over his weight.

I just wanted to say that whilst what you've experienced is the norm, perhaps in tiny pockets, things are already changing. Vive les changes!

TimeWasting Thu 11-Aug-11 15:15:42

Midori, that's really dreadful.

Even if the HCPs just knew that they didn't know enough and could be open to info it would make a big difference.

gallicgirl Thu 11-Aug-11 15:16:27

I had the same experience too pretty much. Trying to get a doctor to help with BF is like banging your head against a brick wall.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now