Talk

Advanced search

Formula Feeding - question about bottles

(13 Posts)
NewMummy5July2011 Wed 10-Aug-11 20:18:00

Hi
I'm doing a combination of breast and bottle feeding, and wondering how people manage their bottles when formula feeding. At the moment we prepare exactly as advised on the box - boil water, cool to 70 degrees, mix, shake, cool and use within 2 hours.

This is tricky - sometimes if baby has a hungry moment it gets stressful preparing a bottle while she is cying. What do all you ff mums do? Does anyone prepare bottles in advance and leave them in the fridge, or is it really best fo follow the instructions verbatim?

Any help on managing would be greatly appreciated.

x

kickassmunkiii Wed 10-Aug-11 20:58:53

Hello again!

I have a flask of cooled boiled water on standby at all times.

If I am making up a 6 fl oz bottle for example, I use 3 fl oz of 70 degree water and put all 6 scoops in (to kill any bacteria) stir through until dissolved and then top up to 6 fl oz with the cold water and voila! Ready to serve at the required temperature.

This method works for me, I prefer to follow the advice about using 70 degree (or even freshly boiled tbh) as my baby has had gastroenteritus which may have been bacterial and I want to be on the safe side.

How are you getting on otherwise?

wigglesrock Wed 10-Aug-11 21:05:25

I make 2 bottles up at a time, make them up to recommended guidelines, then flash cool them and store in the back of the fridge until needed.

NewMummy5July2011 Thu 11-Aug-11 09:59:25

Thanks ladies - both of these options are ones that we have thought of but weren't sure if we should try. Will give both a bash and see how we get on.

Hi again kickassmunkiii - getting on much better now that we are in a bit of a better routine with feeding. Our little DD is getting on much better with mainly formula. I do a couple of BF a day to keep some milk going, and for comfort as she seems to enjoy it! Haven't quite got the hang of preparing bottles quickly yet but I'm sure it will get easier!

moomin156 Thu 11-Aug-11 10:12:33

Cool boiled water in the fridge, put into bottle and heated in microwave to 70' ( need to play to work out timings) then add powder, then cool. Or keep water at the required temp in a flask ready to use, cool when made. My DD likes it quite warm so it doesnt take long to cool.......

Mampig Thu 11-Aug-11 13:18:05

Have you thought about ready made for those times that dc is really squealing? The cartons are sterile and you can store unused milk in sterile bottle in fridge for later. Can use for emergencies, as they can be expensive if used all the time!

pugh Thu 11-Aug-11 21:59:43

Finding this really helpful. Due in a couple of weeks and really cant imagine br-feeding hell of last time. How do you know the water is 70 degrees? How do you sterilise the bottles...

Sorry to sabotage thread!

moomin156 Thu 11-Aug-11 23:02:16

I use a microwave steriliser and used a thermometer for the temp...... Each kettle and volume of water boiled makes it different, so did a few tests...... Doesn't need to be exactly 70' but roughly and I prefer it to be hotter than colder to kill the bacteria

pugh Thu 11-Aug-11 23:27:48

And do you sterilise a bottle at a time? Or can you do them at the start of the day? Again sorry for sabotage!

K999 Thu 11-Aug-11 23:42:20

I used to sterilise bottles in steamer night before. In morning, boil kettle, pour requisite amount into each bottle, leave to cool, place lids on. Kept all bottle at room temp. When needed, scoop in formula, shake and serve. Never heated up, always gave dd2 at room temp. When going out/during night, used measuring container for formula, tipped in, shook and served.

moomin156 Fri 12-Aug-11 09:52:29

I sterilise as many that will fit in and just make up into the bottle with lid on and keep until ready to use. Dont leave them for over 24hrs though without sterilising as a precaution. I just work with 3 bottles......wash, sterilise and reuse. It only takes 6min in the microwave to sterilise..
DD is happy with room temp, cold or warm..........she prefers warm but will take anything

Mampig Fri 12-Aug-11 10:48:50

I did same as K999. Really handy! I used cartons at night time at room temp and saved me getting out of bed. I'm bf this time though.

NewMummy5July2011 Fri 12-Aug-11 11:08:15

Thanks everyone - seems to be going better with preparing a few in advance and leaving them in the back of the fridge. Have some cartons too in case of emergency and for taking out - trying not to use too many though as they are expensive!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now