Talk

Advanced search

Vit A&D - do you? Would you? Why

(7 Posts)
kimdeal Wed 10-Aug-11 14:00:26

Just read that it is worth giving toddlers a Vitamin A&D supplement. As I recall, giving Vit D is standard in France. Do you give either vitamin (or both)? Are there any drawbacks/dangers/issues with giving (either of) these vitamins? If not, is there any particular brand you'd recommend?
For info junior is 14.5 months, and still rcvs breast milk as his main drink.

AlpinePony Wed 10-Aug-11 14:11:22

Look at moy kimberloy - I am sur le continent and at 12 months using cow-juice was told to supplement with Vit D. When purely bf-ing was told to supplement with Vit A.

Tbh, if this summer weren't so bloody miserable and I felt he was getting Vit D from the sun I'd not worry - but as it is he's got the skin tone of a games programmer.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Wed 10-Aug-11 16:58:10

We don't give owt. We are pale skinned and spend time outside so don't consider us to be at risk for vit d deficiency. Never heard of vit a supplimenting though.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Wed 10-Aug-11 17:00:53

oh and ds is 18m and still bf with occasional moo juice.

nickelbabe Wed 10-Aug-11 17:02:05

i would avoid A supplements.

they shouldn't need D supplements (most of it comes from sunlight anyway)

Vit A can cause liver problems.

kimdeal Wed 10-Aug-11 18:34:47

Mind yoooooou, pale skin is better at getting vit D from up this part of the world. And I am neither pale nor, when considering vitamins, interesting.
However, ta all, v much, for saving me the hassle of trying to fight my way into our local boarded up Boots. I shan't bother then.

Oi Ponoi you need a hot holiday. Or maybe that's just me. And so it's true, they seem to be keen on supplementation in your neck of the woods. No health worker has even mentioned it to me. I wonder why there's the difference?

AlpinePony Wed 10-Aug-11 18:39:07

I dunno Kim, but tbh I take a vit d supplement myself, so it's no drama.

Yes pls to holiday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now