Talk

Advanced search

Sterilising advice for occasional bottle and breast pump users

(7 Posts)
dobeessneeze Tue 09-Aug-11 17:05:11

I need help. I have just melted my breast pump, bottles and dummies by trying to use a vegetable steamer to steam sterilise them. I thought I was being very clever by not buying a steriliser when I'm only going to be expressing occasionally, but clearly that plan has backfired.

What do people who express do - do you still have to buy a steriliser or is there a non-melting way of doing it without one? Would hot soapy water and the occasional dunk in boiling water do?

Thanks.

Paschaelina Tue 09-Aug-11 17:07:20

Dont need to specifically sterilise. Properly hot soapy water does a good enough job IMO. If you really want to, get some Milton tablets, water and a tub with a lid and drop it all in for 15 minutes.

Catslikehats Tue 09-Aug-11 17:22:00

Hot soapy water is fine for breast milk.

Secondtimelucky Tue 09-Aug-11 17:50:39

I've heard hot soapy water (or dishwasher, for the bits you can) is fine too. If you want to you can also boil most parts in a large saucepan of hot water. The problem with a vegetable steamer (assume you mean a metal one on top of a saucepan) is they will have been sitting against the hot metal.

TransatlanticCityGirl Tue 09-Aug-11 19:44:12

Dishwasher is fine. I personally use a microwave steriliser which I got on sale for £10 (avent).

HipHopOpotomus Tue 09-Aug-11 23:14:23

I used a travel one from mothercare for breast pump stuff and the odd bottle etc. You can use it with Milton or in microwave and it was about £8. DP now uses it as a lunchbox grin

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 10-Aug-11 05:25:07

Hot soapy water or microwave sterilising bags (I use Medela ones).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now