Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Frightened to reattach

(17 Posts)
fatbottomgirl Tue 09-Aug-11 16:07:33

I have a 7 day who seemed to he feeding really untill the 4th day when I cracked very badly, following some very bad advice of air drying the nipples completely and carry on feeding the problem became much worse. I started expressing yesterday as i was finding it totally impossible to feed. One side is healing very well and should be readyto re attach shortly however I an terrified of the pain and worried about positioning. Any advice greatly received.

buttonmoon78 Tue 09-Aug-11 16:10:54

Where abouts are you? Is there a local bf counselling service you can access? Or nct or la leche?

Or would varying the position help?

I found lansinoh offered some good short term relief initially. It stopped the breast pads sticking to my sore nipples!

Hopefully someone better will be along soon.

fatbottomgirl Tue 09-Aug-11 16:22:21

I am in west Cumbria not much of any kind of support up hereangry the support groups only run during term time angry. I really don't trust the midwives after asking them to check his latch several times and them all saying he was fine I hate not being able to feed sadsadsad

buttonmoon78 Tue 09-Aug-11 16:36:50

Ok, I'd love to be closer but I'm not.

Try kellymom.com - a lot of folks recommended that to me.

How are you getting him on the breast? Holding him with the opposite arm and using your other hand to guide your nipple? I was doing it the wrong way round initially and was blown away by the difference it made.

fatbottomgirl Tue 09-Aug-11 16:46:44

Going to have a look a Kellymom now thank you.
I have been using the same arm that he is feeding from. Might try your suggestion, can't be Any worse wink
You would thinking should know better by now!! blush (this is number4 and have breast fed all the others) blushblush

God I sympathise, attaching a baby onto a cracked nipple is the worst fucking pain. And you have to be brave about it else they latch badly.

I used to take some paracetamol about 15 mins before I was going to feed and then just grit my teeth and do it.

My tip is to express from the side that is sore and feed from the good side for about 12 hours if you can manage that, which gives the crack a decent chance to heal.

buttonmoon78 Tue 09-Aug-11 17:08:32

I'm on no4 too! So I can only guess its laziness by now blush

I've struggled a lot this time and now battling blocked ducts and suspected mastitis sad

Mind you - I've not been successful with any of the others much so who knows how I'll get on this time!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 09-Aug-11 17:16:28

I had this too.

I found when it got really bad nurofen helped, as did counting to ten as she latched on, by the time I reached 10 the pain was always bearable and knowing I just had to count to 10 really helped...

JollyBear Tue 09-Aug-11 20:31:00

I know exactly what you mean about being terrified of the latch. I shudder at the memory.

Have you any Children's centres close by? I found doing a rugby ball hold alternately with cradle hold helped. It alternated the area that was being latched onto if that makes sense.

crikeybadger Tue 09-Aug-11 21:26:34

'Jelonet' is supposedly very good for cracks. It's a gauze type dressing available from the pharmacy.

Would it be worth trying a nipple shield just until it is healed?

fifitot Tue 09-Aug-11 21:29:21

Try the helplines, nct, la leche etc. When I had a problem, one of the local helpline women actually came round to see me and solved the problem. They can't always do that but some can. Good luck.

Bufster Tue 09-Aug-11 21:41:58

I'd recommend phoning one of the helplines too. I know it seems unlikely that they can do much over the phone, but I phoned the NCT helpline when I had problems in the beginning and they definitely helped me - so worth a try.

fatbottomgirl Wed 10-Aug-11 10:38:46

Thanks for the advice, I feel much better this morning although still haven't had the courage to re-attach yet. I really want to do it today as my nipples seem to be healing very well.

I have tried to phone la leche but have had no answer so far, I have left message so hopefully someone will ring back. Going to spend the morning trawling the internet for best latch and positioning and the try him back on this afternoon after some paracetamol.

fatbottomgirl Wed 10-Aug-11 15:23:57

grin oh my god put him back on this afternoon using a cross cradle hold and taking my time what a difference grin. No pain at all. Can't believe it grin such a relief, hope it stays like this.

Yay! That is brilliant news, so glad things have improved for you grin

crikeybadger Wed 10-Aug-11 16:21:10

Ooh good, well done. Great news. smile

The thing is to try and remember now what you did to get a pain free latch- and to unlatch if it doesn't feel right the next time.

buttonmoon78 Wed 10-Aug-11 17:38:02

Great! And yes, unlatching is your friend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now