Talk

Advanced search

Breast milk donor needed

(18 Posts)
mackadoo Tue 09-Aug-11 13:59:55

I've been on here for a number of years but have namechanged. I am looking for someone who might have a surplus of breast milk and would be willing to donate as much as possible for my son. He is actually 6 but due to a medical situation I have been advised by researchers that breast milk might help. I am willing to go into more detail about that if anyone is interested. I am very willing to pay for time and inconvenience, I don't know how much, but can be discussed. I can't get milk from a milk bank because of his age, and so don't really know where to go. Would have to do some sort of screening I suppose for HIV and stuff, but just would like to speak to someone who might be able to help. Thanks.

kimberlina Tue 09-Aug-11 15:06:08

How much do you need and for how long? I have some in the freezer that I'm probably not going to use but only about 20oz or so. I'm planning on stopping in another couple of months when DD is 1 yr so wouldn't be producing any more. Where abouts are you?

mackadoo Tue 09-Aug-11 15:14:11

Hi thankyou. I am looking for a long term thing, but that probably won't be possible from one person. thankyou for the offer of the 20 oz - I guess I might have to ask several people for milk to get enough.

shuckleberryfinn Tue 09-Aug-11 16:04:36

Where are you roughly? That might help?

organiccarrotcake Tue 09-Aug-11 16:48:35

Hi,

You could try the Human milk 4 human babies Facebook group. Many are former donors and therefore screened.

HTH

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Tue 09-Aug-11 19:43:30

you can also try www.milkshare.org there's info on there re pasturiseation too if applicable. I used to be a milk bank donor and the tests i had were the same as pg booking bloods so that might be a starting point for you. I'd love to help but am pg so have low supply atm.

I am sorry to hear your ds is unwell. I am curious to know more about his condition if you can bare or find time to tell us. I am a boobgeek so please feel free to ignore as i'm just being nosey.

posterofawolef Tue 09-Aug-11 21:26:10

I could donate about 8 oz a week if that would help?

Not taking any medication except domperidone and antenatal test were clear for disease.

I do live in deepest darkest Wales though so it might be a logistical nightmare.

orchidee Tue 09-Aug-11 21:29:06

I would be willing to help if logistics are ok. Where are you and how much per day or week do you need?

mackadoo Wed 10-Aug-11 10:42:25

Thankyou so much for the offers. I haven't thought this through very well, have I, in terms of transportation.

Orchidee I live an hour north of London. [cryptic]

Obviously if you are feeding there is going to be a limit to what you can give. 8 oz a week would definitely help.

orchidee Wed 10-Aug-11 11:13:40

I;m in scotland

shanishous Wed 10-Aug-11 18:29:52

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

waspandbee Wed 10-Aug-11 19:07:40

shanishous biscuit

crikeybadger Wed 10-Aug-11 20:11:09

It seems that shanishous is being particularly offensive tonight on MN.

Was just about to report, but seems someone got there first.

twinklegreen Wed 10-Aug-11 20:14:10

It was me smile my first ever reportgrin I am on a power high!

Very out of order though angry

crikeybadger Wed 10-Aug-11 20:42:03

Well done twinklegreen. grin

Horrible comments from that poster all over mn tonight. Glad they've been deleted quickly.

Jackstini Wed 10-Aug-11 20:45:39

Can't help personally but just wanted to say I got some bm from a mner a couple of years ago and was massively grateful so really hoping you get what you need.

PrisonerZero Thu 11-Aug-11 23:52:27

Hi,

I am currently breast feeding my 8 week old DS, I'm not sure I have a lot of milk but if I combine feeding with expressing i'm sure I could up my supply. I don't know how many oz I would be able to express as I haven't done it before but if we could work out a way of getting it to you then I am willing to give it a go. I am in Bham. Antenatal tests were all fine, and I am not on any medication. You are welcome to PM me. (I only normally post on antenatal/postnatal threads or occassionally in this section so you probably wont recognise my name)

posterofawolef Fri 12-Aug-11 12:11:02

Perhaps I could freeze and courier it by batch ( month at a time for example) or drop it off if I was going to London.

I think it's going to involve cool boxes and freezing however you do it!

Let me know if you are still interested as I do have some frozen stock.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now