Talk

Advanced search

Breast milk donor needed

(18 Posts)
mackadoo Tue 09-Aug-11 13:59:55

I've been on here for a number of years but have namechanged. I am looking for someone who might have a surplus of breast milk and would be willing to donate as much as possible for my son. He is actually 6 but due to a medical situation I have been advised by researchers that breast milk might help. I am willing to go into more detail about that if anyone is interested. I am very willing to pay for time and inconvenience, I don't know how much, but can be discussed. I can't get milk from a milk bank because of his age, and so don't really know where to go. Would have to do some sort of screening I suppose for HIV and stuff, but just would like to speak to someone who might be able to help. Thanks.

kimberlina Tue 09-Aug-11 15:06:08

How much do you need and for how long? I have some in the freezer that I'm probably not going to use but only about 20oz or so. I'm planning on stopping in another couple of months when DD is 1 yr so wouldn't be producing any more. Where abouts are you?

mackadoo Tue 09-Aug-11 15:14:11

Hi thankyou. I am looking for a long term thing, but that probably won't be possible from one person. thankyou for the offer of the 20 oz - I guess I might have to ask several people for milk to get enough.

shuckleberryfinn Tue 09-Aug-11 16:04:36

Where are you roughly? That might help?

organiccarrotcake Tue 09-Aug-11 16:48:35

Hi,

You could try the Human milk 4 human babies Facebook group. Many are former donors and therefore screened.

HTH

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Tue 09-Aug-11 19:43:30

you can also try www.milkshare.org there's info on there re pasturiseation too if applicable. I used to be a milk bank donor and the tests i had were the same as pg booking bloods so that might be a starting point for you. I'd love to help but am pg so have low supply atm.

I am sorry to hear your ds is unwell. I am curious to know more about his condition if you can bare or find time to tell us. I am a boobgeek so please feel free to ignore as i'm just being nosey.

posterofawolef Tue 09-Aug-11 21:26:10

I could donate about 8 oz a week if that would help?

Not taking any medication except domperidone and antenatal test were clear for disease.

I do live in deepest darkest Wales though so it might be a logistical nightmare.

orchidee Tue 09-Aug-11 21:29:06

I would be willing to help if logistics are ok. Where are you and how much per day or week do you need?

mackadoo Wed 10-Aug-11 10:42:25

Thankyou so much for the offers. I haven't thought this through very well, have I, in terms of transportation.

Orchidee I live an hour north of London. [cryptic]

Obviously if you are feeding there is going to be a limit to what you can give. 8 oz a week would definitely help.

orchidee Wed 10-Aug-11 11:13:40

I;m in scotland

shanishous Wed 10-Aug-11 18:29:52

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

waspandbee Wed 10-Aug-11 19:07:40

shanishous biscuit

crikeybadger Wed 10-Aug-11 20:11:09

It seems that shanishous is being particularly offensive tonight on MN.

Was just about to report, but seems someone got there first.

twinklegreen Wed 10-Aug-11 20:14:10

It was me smile my first ever reportgrin I am on a power high!

Very out of order though angry

crikeybadger Wed 10-Aug-11 20:42:03

Well done twinklegreen. grin

Horrible comments from that poster all over mn tonight. Glad they've been deleted quickly.

Jackstini Wed 10-Aug-11 20:45:39

Can't help personally but just wanted to say I got some bm from a mner a couple of years ago and was massively grateful so really hoping you get what you need.

PrisonerZero Thu 11-Aug-11 23:52:27

Hi,

I am currently breast feeding my 8 week old DS, I'm not sure I have a lot of milk but if I combine feeding with expressing i'm sure I could up my supply. I don't know how many oz I would be able to express as I haven't done it before but if we could work out a way of getting it to you then I am willing to give it a go. I am in Bham. Antenatal tests were all fine, and I am not on any medication. You are welcome to PM me. (I only normally post on antenatal/postnatal threads or occassionally in this section so you probably wont recognise my name)

posterofawolef Fri 12-Aug-11 12:11:02

Perhaps I could freeze and courier it by batch ( month at a time for example) or drop it off if I was going to London.

I think it's going to involve cool boxes and freezing however you do it!

Let me know if you are still interested as I do have some frozen stock.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: