Talk

Advanced search

feeding lying down

(8 Posts)
charlottery Tue 09-Aug-11 10:49:01

had an emergency csection on friday, feeding is going really well and I'm trying to feed lying down. This is probably a very stupid question but how do I feed from the top breast when I'm lying on my side? Do I need to turn over and reposition us both (this really hurts at the moment!)
Thank you for any tips / links

sunchild77 Tue 09-Aug-11 10:51:33

Lying down is a great way to feed after emsec, But I always had to turn us both over and reposition, but if I did it slowly it wasnt too painful. Make sure you are well dosed up all the time with your painkillers too.

Good luck and keep going with the BF smile

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Tue 09-Aug-11 10:56:03

I agree with sunchild, don't forget to take your painkillers on time.
Are you lying flat flat, or with an army of pillows propping you up from every angle? If you're on your side then yep the top boob would be pretty hard to feed from and you'd have to roll you both over to the other side. If you're propped up a little bit but your bum is flat on the bed (iykwim) then you can lay the baby across you to feed from either side, or have them tucked under your arm like a rugby ball - depends how your scar is and how you feel most comfy.
Congratulations as well smile

buttonmoon78 Tue 09-Aug-11 10:57:21

Yes - you'll have to turn over I'm afraid.

Once you can sit a little more comfortably, the rugby ball hold is also good. I tried it for the first time this morning (I've not had a cs but I have a blocked duct) and I was surprised at hom comfy it is. You'll need pillows to support your baby's body and head.

Congratulations and good luck!

EauRouge Tue 09-Aug-11 11:00:31

You don't have to turn over, I've always found that I'm able to just lean over a bit more to feed from the other side. Alternatively would you be able to get your baby onto a pillow to lift him up slightly so he can reach the other side?

organiccarrotcake Tue 09-Aug-11 12:59:46

It depends entirely on whether you can "reach". Some women can feed from either boob lying either side. Some can't - and some can but it takes practise.

There's certainly no reason why you shouldn't feed from both breasts if you can manage it. As has been suggested, you might want to try different ways to support you and/or your baby, leaning over more, cushions, etc, just to find what works for you. If you can do this while you've got a helper with you, so much the better.

Lying down feeding is a wonderful skill and well worth learning. Great for feeding with a CS, but also for later on with night feeds, lazy days, feeding to sleep (which is lovely, and fine), etc.

Congratulations on your LO smile

diggingforvictory Tue 09-Aug-11 13:07:33

When my baby was very small I fed her lying flat on my back. She lay face on boob with her body diagonally across me, between boob and tummy. I had an emsc too and this seemed to work well for us. I could go to sleep like this (and so could she), only waking to put her on the other side.

buttonmoon78 Tue 09-Aug-11 16:01:35

I'm inspired to try feeding from both sides on one side (iyswim).

DH is ok if I have ds between us in bed but if I have him on the edge I bring him in towards the middle of the bed while I'm asleep meaning dh is clinging on to the edge by his fingernails!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now