Talk

Advanced search

Can you give blood if you are breastfeeding?

(15 Posts)
halfdrunktea Sun 07-Aug-11 20:58:13

Not literally at the same time, of course...

NBS guidance says that you can donate if your baby is over 9 months old, but doesn't mention breastfeeding. Just thought I'd ask here before I get in touch with them.

I was thinking of going in September when my son will be 10 months old. I've been EBF and am now doing BLW so he doesn't eat a huge amount in the way of solids, though maybe he will be having a bit less milk by then.

RhinestoneCowgirl Sun 07-Aug-11 20:59:52

Yes, as long as baby is over 9 months. I have done it myself a couple of times (although last time I went my iron was too low sad, don't think this is bf-related tho..)

1Catherine1 Mon 08-Aug-11 00:23:39

Personally I wouldn't (and actually can't as I'm no longer eligible to do so).

Giving blood is an admirable thing to do and I was a blood donor before I received a blood transfusion myself. It does affect you though. I fainted after 1 donation and was a little off after another. Combined with how drained BF can make you I really wouldn't risk it. This is just me though, maybe giving blood doesn't effect others in the same way...

MJHASLEFTTHEBUILDING Mon 08-Aug-11 00:25:14

Message withdrawn

TimeWasting Mon 08-Aug-11 07:46:52

You can, but yes, I think it's a personal judgement call on how tired you can afford to be afterwards, plus how much they're actually feeding.

organiccarrotcake Mon 08-Aug-11 17:15:47

No use for OP, as you need to start before your baby is 6 months, but while you can't give blood many mums choose to donate milk, instead:

Click this link if you want to find out more about donating breastmilk to premature babies

TadlowDogIncident Mon 08-Aug-11 17:21:58

Yes, you can, and I would if I could but I'm now under the weight limit! DS has eaten all my reserves. But I'm someone who could give blood with no ill-effects at all pre-pregnancy, so it's easy for me to say that.

WoTmania Mon 08-Aug-11 17:37:20

yup, I did once they were over 9 months

cyberfairy Mon 08-Aug-11 17:41:01

I have an appointment to give blood next week as it said on their website that your baby had to be over six months-and nothing was mentioned about breastfeeding.

ningthemerciless Mon 08-Aug-11 19:20:24

I phoned the hospital here to ask and they told me not at all as long as you are bf. I think you should ring them and ask the policy locally.

HerdOfTinyElephants Mon 08-Aug-11 19:32:35

cyberfairy, https://secure.blood.co.uk/c11_cant.asp says "You should not give blood if you are pregnant or you are a woman who has had a baby in the last 9 months."

They get you to drink a pint of water while you wait now to prevent dehydration, so long as you do that and keep your fluid intake high for the 24 hours or so afterwards I would have thought it would be fine.

WoTmania Tue 09-Aug-11 18:35:26

The pint of water is to keep your blood pressure up.
re: the BF thing - obviously ningthemerciless that's bonkers, DD is 29 months, I wonder if they would try and tell me I can't considering i've donated a few times since she was 9 months grin. The first time after DS1 (he was just 9 months) I specificall yasked re: bf as he was still nursing lots and was told it was fine

halfdrunktea Tue 09-Aug-11 20:35:13

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll see how I feel nearer the time of the session. I was always fine when I donated previously, though that's more than two years ago now. I did think about donating milk, though unfortunately I never got round to it as I found expressing quite difficult.

cyberfairy Tue 09-Aug-11 20:40:27

Cheers Herd-will reschedule my appointment-confused as sure I read it was six months but you are right, have rechecked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now