Talk

Advanced search

Expressing - when, and how much to give? General advice on introducing a bottle.

(2 Posts)
PrincessOfWails Sun 07-Aug-11 13:03:40

I'm bfing my seond Ds, who is 4 weeks old. I thought I'd like to give him a bottle one night (so I could have a break!) and wondered when should I express (given that he feeds a lot!) and how much should I give him in his bottle?
I had hyperlactation with DS1 so it was abundant; supply and demand is more normal this time, and I expressed a bit this morning when DS2 was sleeping, and managed 50ml. (It was 100ml in 2 minutes, one side only with DS1.)

Or should I just use formula for the first time? Or even generally?

Also, should I give a bottle regularly, to avoid him refusing it later; or more rarely? (DS1 refused point blank at 4 months, despite having a weekly bottle of ebm, and never drank from a bottle after that.)

Thanks!

MigGril Sun 07-Aug-11 15:04:43

To work out how much to give try www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

I would if you can give expresse milk if you can. Formula changes the gut floura in a BF baby and can upset there stumok if your only giving the odd bottle. You can give a bottle as often or as little as you like, some babies will refuses a bottle even if they have been given one regularly. I don't think there is much you can do to prevent that. Some BF babies refusse a bottle altogether and other will start to preffer the bottle to the breast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now