Talk

Advanced search

mastitis infectious or not, now do I tell?

(4 Posts)
hollywoodstar Sat 06-Aug-11 20:23:40

Hi everyone, am looking for advice from the wise! Basically the title says it all.

I have EBF for 6 months (DD won't take to bottle, she has gone from screaming at it instantly to playing with it and never settling to it and then screaming!). I do not express as she would not take my milk from bottle and I never really got on with the rhythm of expressing and feeding.

I have a very sore right boob, hurts generally (bruised feeling) esp on right hand side of it, it feels like it might explode despite having fed from it throughout the day and I ache in my joints, feel tired and fluey. I am getting pains in it that are stabbing and increase after a feed.

So, self diagnosis says mastitis to me, but how do I know if infected and need antibiotics?

I did have some blood from my nipple last weekend but I thought that this was just that it might be a bit cracked after enthusiatic tugging from DD. This cleared up after a day or two.

Any advice and can anyone let me know whether this means the end of BF if it is infected as although I am looking to wind it up over a period of time as I think that this is the only way I can gently get DD to take bottle, I don't know what I would do if I had to stop dead...

Any suggestions, advice and help greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Paschaelina Sat 06-Aug-11 20:25:23

The fact you feel fluey says it all to me. Get antibiotics today. Its not the end of BF but the sooner you start treatment the quicker you will be back to normal. And feed of the crappy side first and completely drain the breast each time.

TruthSweet Sat 06-Aug-11 20:46:32

Even if you have infectious mastitis it doesn't mean you have to wean. The infectious bit doesn't mean contagious (can be passed from mother to baby) it means that it have been caused by an infection caused by bacteria in the breast as opposed to 'just' inflammation of the breast tissue.

Lots of info here and info on anti-biotics and at home self help here.

Hope you feel better soon.

hollywoodstar Sat 06-Aug-11 21:13:08

Thanks both. Am onto NHS direct to see if I can get anti biotics and am just ferreting about in cupboard for the expressor....

Thanks truthsweet for the links, very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now