Talk

Advanced search

Normal pooing?

(8 Posts)
Niccc123 Fri 05-Aug-11 09:38:11

DS is 8wks old and exclusively BF. Since midnight last night he has been pooing every 2 hrs or so. Poo is normal yellowish colour, is slimy in consistency and has his usual peanutty aroma. He hasn't got a temperature. Just worried as this seems like a whole lotta poo and was concerned he might have diarrhoea. Am I worrying needlessly? (FTM in case it wasn't obvious!)

twinklegreen Fri 05-Aug-11 09:40:39

Don't worry everything sounds normal to me smile

HandMini Fri 05-Aug-11 11:26:59

Doc told me number of poos is irrelevant in breastfed babies, as long as colour remains bright yellow (and not greenish).

orchidee Fri 05-Aug-11 11:37:50

Diahorrea in BF babies is unusual, the breast milk makes it less likely that they contract diahorrea, and IIRC this level of increased frequency but normal looking poo isn't considered diahorrea.

It's still early days and your baby's digestive system is still maturing. Has he been feeding more during the night? Maybe more in = more out? My 13 weeks old has days where he does a poo after each feed. Patterns are being established and then changing frequently at the moment.

Niccc123 Sat 06-Aug-11 22:08:15

He's still pooing lots and colour is varying between bright biro green and bright yellow. He seems fine in himself (temp ok, feeding ok, lots of wees). GP thinks he has a bug and just told me to watch out for dehydration - pretty sure he isn't dehydrated though. He also told me to reduce the amount of milk he has and give him water in a bottle. My instincts tell me this is balls. Should I get a second opinion? TIA

twinklegreen Sat 06-Aug-11 22:36:59

He is wrong I'm afraid. If ds is poorly, even with a stomach bug, lots of breast milk is the best thing for him, It is the easiest thing for babies to digest and is very gentle on the stomach.

It would be a very bad idea to cut down an 8 wk old baby's Breast milk intake and replace it with water.

Your instinct is right smile sorry you've not had great advice sad

twinklegreen Sat 06-Aug-11 22:39:18

Also breast milk is approx. 90% water, so if your worried about dehydration you could always offer him a few extra breastfeeds smile

orchidee Sat 06-Aug-11 23:54:51

I would also do increased breast feeding and not give water. That sounds like advice for ff babies. If you keep offering one side after the other your baby should get as much milk as they need. Your son may want to comfort nurse though, in which case don't make him swap sides if he doesn't want to and is feeding a lot anyway (i.e. no concern of dehydration, lots of wee, skin and fontanelles ok). I think kellymom has good advice- on phone so can't check for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now