Talk

Advanced search

do you rinse after using milton to sterilise bottles and pump?

(7 Posts)
soandsosmum Fri 05-Aug-11 05:01:50

Hi
I'm bfing and want to express a.few feeds each week so DH can feed DD and thus give me a few hours to go .to workout classes etc. Expressing seems to be ok, but DD totally refusing a bottles and when I tasted it the other day, I don't blame her as it tasted really off. DH says it tastes soapy and thinks I need to rinse Milton off the equipment once sterilized, but I wondered if this will unsterilise it! Am I being silly? Do I just rinse? Really got to get this working as DH is 10 weeks and only going 2 hours between feeds.

ragged Fri 05-Aug-11 05:53:00

Yes I rinse (and well). British tap water is extremely clean, and yours is no longer very tiny.

Chipotle Fri 05-Aug-11 06:24:33

I never rinsed, I'm pretty sure it says not to on the Milton packet.
My DS was always a bottle refuser, we had limited success with a sippy cup but not until he was about 20 weeks.

ragged Fri 05-Aug-11 08:43:28

Yeah, it does say not to.
It also says that Milton leaves no residual taste -- and believe me, it does!
You could steam them, OP, I steamed mine in an ordinary kitchen steamer.

shuckleberryfinn Fri 05-Aug-11 08:49:40

I dont think milton tastes soapy, I don't rinse. How long are you storing the milk before feeding?

www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/lipase-expressedmilk.html about half way down that page it discusses why stored milk may taste soapy. I'm no expert though, just thought it might help.

Haggisfish Fri 05-Aug-11 09:43:26

I didn't sterilise at all - just put bottles etc in dishwasher. I think current thinking is you don't actually need to sterilise - just use hot, soapy water.

HandMini Fri 05-Aug-11 11:23:44

You could just boil the kit in a clean saucepan for 10 mins - this will sterilise the kit. Although like Haggis I dont bother with sterilising.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now