Talk

Advanced search

do you rinse after using milton to sterilise bottles and pump?

(7 Posts)
soandsosmum Fri 05-Aug-11 05:01:50

Hi
I'm bfing and want to express a.few feeds each week so DH can feed DD and thus give me a few hours to go .to workout classes etc. Expressing seems to be ok, but DD totally refusing a bottles and when I tasted it the other day, I don't blame her as it tasted really off. DH says it tastes soapy and thinks I need to rinse Milton off the equipment once sterilized, but I wondered if this will unsterilise it! Am I being silly? Do I just rinse? Really got to get this working as DH is 10 weeks and only going 2 hours between feeds.

ragged Fri 05-Aug-11 05:53:00

Yes I rinse (and well). British tap water is extremely clean, and yours is no longer very tiny.

Chipotle Fri 05-Aug-11 06:24:33

I never rinsed, I'm pretty sure it says not to on the Milton packet.
My DS was always a bottle refuser, we had limited success with a sippy cup but not until he was about 20 weeks.

ragged Fri 05-Aug-11 08:43:28

Yeah, it does say not to.
It also says that Milton leaves no residual taste -- and believe me, it does!
You could steam them, OP, I steamed mine in an ordinary kitchen steamer.

shuckleberryfinn Fri 05-Aug-11 08:49:40

I dont think milton tastes soapy, I don't rinse. How long are you storing the milk before feeding?

www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/lipase-expressedmilk.html about half way down that page it discusses why stored milk may taste soapy. I'm no expert though, just thought it might help.

Haggisfish Fri 05-Aug-11 09:43:26

I didn't sterilise at all - just put bottles etc in dishwasher. I think current thinking is you don't actually need to sterilise - just use hot, soapy water.

HandMini Fri 05-Aug-11 11:23:44

You could just boil the kit in a clean saucepan for 10 mins - this will sterilise the kit. Although like Haggis I dont bother with sterilising.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: