Talk

Advanced search

10 week old started "mucking" about on breast...help!

(9 Posts)
Lib76 Thu 04-Aug-11 21:35:43

Ds is 10 wks today and over the past few days i have noticed that he has started pulling on me when feeding. It can happen any time of day regardless of noise etc. He gets ebm maybe once a day and on occasions fourmula. He gets really annoyed when he comes off and trys to get back on. he has been quite hard to wind over past week too so wondering if this is problem? I am getting so frustrated as BF has been going really well over past month confused

1Catherine1 Fri 05-Aug-11 00:35:27

Have you tried a different position?

My DD feeds best when we're both lay on the bed or in a similar position on the sofa. There she is relaxed and happy. I think dislikes being held in a cradle position. Sometimes when we're out I even feed her with her sat on my legs with her legs around my waist so she is upright.

Monochromecat Fri 05-Aug-11 00:41:39

My DS is now 6 months and BF fine but also did this pulling-on/off-thing for a while a couple of months ago. Couldn't work out why and it just seemed to pass after a couple of weeks...

soandsosmum Fri 05-Aug-11 05:04:59

Mine does this too. Yanks on me as she comes off room very Ouchy. No idea why. She wriggles like a fish and although it seems like wind she screams if I try and wind her.

orchidee Fri 05-Aug-11 09:11:08

Could it be that your baby has become distractable? Has he begun noticing the world around him?

Gwlondon Fri 05-Aug-11 23:12:25

My baby does/did that. I generally had some problems and paid for a lactation consultant to come. She said that I had a forceful let down and gave me advice. I think she was worth every penny.

She gave advice about positioning, tweaking latch and lots more. Very useful as she had actually based her advice on what she saw.

I am in a much better situation now.

Good luck.

Clueless79 Sat 06-Aug-11 22:12:03

I had very similar issues an posted on here in 2 threads - one about 13wo fussing and then another about the lack of support for bf (I was in a bad mood - v frustrated!) and lots of people came with tips - I've also listed in the where's the support thread all the strategies I've been trying as something's working! Hope they're of some help to you.

SnarkHunt Sun 07-Aug-11 01:25:17

Wriggling can sometimes mean they either need or are doing a wee. Or a poo, but that's usually more obvious! But generally wriggling and thrashing can really drive you bonkers. I second the lying down to feed thing if you're at home; it feels less like you're trying to restrain an octopus and they can wriggle into a more comfy position. Like, with their toes burrowing deep into your thighs...

theboobmeister Sun 07-Aug-11 18:43:37

Aha, tugging! .... Babies often do that when the milk flow slows down - it helps to stimulate another let-down. I know it's annoying (my DD used to do it) but it doesn't mean that anything is wrong - you'll have plenty of milk, just that he wants it a bit quicker, probably because he's feeding more efficiently as he gets older. As a PP said, this sort of frustration doesn't usually last long.

Milk flow slows down naturally during a feed, but if you let him keep feeding, you will eventually get another let-down. You'll know when this has happened because he'll stop tugging and start gulping! You might also want to try offering him the other side when he gets frustrated. He'll know when he's had enough.

Hard to wind probably just means there's no wind there. This happens as they get older, feeding more efficiently, digestive tract maturing, tummy muscles strengthening etc. Nothing to worry about.

All sounds like you have a healthy and growing young chap there. I think you should give yourself a big pat on the back for growing a 10 week baby on your milk!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now