Talk

Advanced search

Womb contracting whilst breastfeeding pains increasing with each DC?!

(12 Posts)
BumpPlus2 Thu 04-Aug-11 18:08:39

Hi,
I am expecting DC3 and (mostly) happliy fed my previous 2DS's up until 14 months and intend to do so again.
I did, however, experience excruciating shock clenching lower abdominal pains whilst I fed for at least the first 5 days with DC2 and I have been told that they increase with each baby.
I almost fainted more than a couple of times (birthed DC2 with no pain relief so am not faint hearted wink) and am just after some pain relieving advice from anyone to who this sounds familiar too!?
Thanks x

WoTmania Thu 04-Aug-11 19:39:16

yup smile I just kept dosed up on paracetamol. i took the maximum dose I could throughout the day rather than taking one just before feeding the baby and missing the benefit. HTH

deemented Thu 04-Aug-11 19:41:35

Yes, it's true.

I found them as bad, if not worse, as the actual contractions.

I must have forgotten the pain because i' pregnant with DC5 - that'll be fun!

You can take co-codamol though, if pain is very very bad.

twinklegreen Thu 04-Aug-11 19:43:00

Mine were really bad after DS (2nd child) but didn't really notice them with DD2 smile

I had heard they got worse too, but in my case it wasn't true, thank goodness!

Bumperlicious Thu 04-Aug-11 19:43:34

God it's awful, it really is. I believe you can get some stronger over the counter pain relief. My mv mentioned but I felt to awful to go. Might be worth check out in advance. Isn't Buscopan targeted to abdominal pain? Not sure if you can take it while feeding. But you can take ibruprofen and paracetamol at the same time, though I'd stagger it.

noteventhebestdrummer Thu 04-Aug-11 19:44:19

OK, it is true in general I think but I found it easier with DS4 and DS5 than with the other 3!

I used to have a tiny bit of brandy in hot water and that helped me to relax - maybe that's worth trying?

BumpPlus2 Fri 05-Aug-11 08:12:49

Morning and thanks very much for the replies!
I will have plenty of paracetamol/ibuprofen stocked up but think I may mention it to the Midwife to see if I could get co-codamol on standby!!
I don't think I took the paracetamol properly before - just before each feed when I thought of it so would not have been getting the full benefit so will try that too this time...
The teensy bit of brandy sounds a possible too!!
And also the chance it isn't as bad this time which would be best case scenario!! wink
x

ragged Fri 05-Aug-11 08:45:06

Breastfeeding is good for your womb, I don't think it makes afterpains any worse. I advise a Co-codamol prescription (is compatible with breastfeeding), had terrible afterpains with DC3 and felt almost none with DC4.

noteventhebestdrummer Fri 05-Aug-11 08:53:30

It helped me also to think that each afterpain was actually helping and that (like contractions!) there were a finite number to get through until they stopped. Good luck!

buttonmoon78 Fri 05-Aug-11 11:24:01

I did that too - and visualised my womb getting smaller with each one. Must have worked. Next door neighbour told me last week (ds was 12days old) that I was like one of those celeb mums who pings back into shape. Though I've never seen a size 14/16 celeb mum I was happy enough with the comparison! grin

However, I can confirm that for me they have got worse with each of the 4. And that cocodamol is great but make sure you also take senna grin

Jojay Fri 05-Aug-11 11:30:14

Mine were bad with dc2 but strangely not with my twins, dc3 and 4.

I had a c section though, so whether the pain relief helped, I don't know. After the first day or two on morphine, I was on paracetemol and Ibuprofen for a week or so.

BumpPlus2 Fri 05-Aug-11 11:53:16

Thanks again for your replies!
I am definitely one for visualisation and I know the benefits to me pinging back into shape thanks to bf (sucked back down to an 8-10 fairly pronto)and obv ones to DC3 but BOY I don't need to be almost passing out whilst feeding/holding my new baby so thanks again for all the advice especially the senna tip also!grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now