Talk

Advanced search

Getting LO to take more oz's

(6 Posts)
inspireme Thu 04-Aug-11 13:53:44

After 3 wks of bf-ing I had to give up due to the pain so am now feeding LO formula, he is nearly 6 wks and still only taking 3/4 oz at a time, and feeding every 2 or 2 and a half hours. I have tried to get him to take 5 oz but he will just not take it, I have also tried holding him off a bit longer but he screams the place down and I end up feeling guilty cos he seems starving.

My 2 friends with babies the same age are taking 6 oz now. My LO is putting on weight ok, but I am on a constant cycle of feeding, and I feel he is not getting proper sleep because of it.

Anyone have any tips on how I can get hime to take more at a time, or is it normal to only take 3/4 oz at this age??

organiccarrotcake Thu 04-Aug-11 13:58:03

Do you know why you were in pain from BFing? There may be a relation to your baby's unsettledness now, you see.

When you say you're on a constant cycle of feeding, how long are you spending feeding, and how frequently?

organiccarrotcake Thu 04-Aug-11 13:59:08

Sorry, just realised you said ever 2-2 1/2 hours. That's quite normal. Certainly don't let him wait. If he needs more frequent, smaller feeds, that's fine. What happens when you let him take the lead on his feeds?

tiktok Thu 04-Aug-11 14:18:04

inspireme - trying to make him wait or eat more at any one time is making him unhappy and angry, and you feel bad about it, too.

There is no need to feel he 'ought' to be doing the same as your friends; there is no need to think he is not getting 'proper sleep' - babies don't need to have a lengthy continuous sleep for it to be 'proper'.

He's gaining weight and healthy. Neither of you need this sort of struggle in your lives smile

Natzer Thu 04-Aug-11 14:22:04

It sounds as if he is getting plenty, my dd is 14 weeks old and has 6oz 5 times a day which is about what is recommended on the tin. And she is a big baby, and still growing fine.

He will take bigger bottles over time and then the time will increase between feeds.

inspireme Thu 04-Aug-11 14:43:30

organic the pain was my nipples they were red raw (sorry if tmi)and I was in tears everytime he fed- felt like was gonna crack if I didn't get him onto bottes. I wouldnt call him unsettled - he only really cries when he needs fed, he's v good otherwise.

He takes about half an hour to feed so by the time I get him winded nappy changed etc and he might sleep or kick about for a while, he's ready for another feed.

Glad to know it's normal thought I was doing something wrong, or started to panic there was something wrong with his stomach that he couldnt take more as I have digestive problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now