Talk

Advanced search

Ten day old vomiting milk up

(19 Posts)
vimtolover Thu 04-Aug-11 11:07:35

my newborn baby born 24 th July has been Bf ing well. However last night he vomited his milk up, it all came up quickly and soaked him. I changed him then fed him again which was fine. This morning I fed him and the same thing happened. I am watching him today to see if the pattern continues. My dad had pyloric stenosis as a baby but my brother did not. I am obviously worried it could be that but has anyone else experienced this and the cause been something different like just over feeding for example.
Thanks

mousymouse Thu 04-Aug-11 11:16:53

could he have reflux?
my ds often brought up a lot of milk due to reflux. it seemed that he had an "overflow valve", if he fed too much he would just through up.
restricting feeding to max 10 min each side helped a lot.
is he fine between feeds? gaining weight?

kellieb7 Thu 04-Aug-11 11:27:39

Hi, congrats on your LO, A certain amount of sick is fine and I think liquid always looks much more than it actually is. I would give your MW/HV a call if your concerned even if it is just to reassure you. x

vimtolover Thu 04-Aug-11 11:46:08

Thanks, he has started feeding longer, it was ten minutes each time now it's fifteen or more.
He has been weighed twice since I came home and he has put on weight, really well.
It only started last night, so I don't know if it will continue but I am so worried, he is such a cute little thing and I feel terrible for him. He was very restless last night from 7 until twelve, we have been giving him Infacol for what we thought was wind, maybe caused by the antibiotics I was on due to an emergency c section. I stopped those 2 days ago.

SpannerPants Thu 04-Aug-11 11:48:51

My DS (21 days old) does this - seems to feed a lot the puke it all up, often going through 4 or 5 different vests in half an hour. I was so worried the first time he did it that our GP ended up coming to do a home visit at 7pm!

I mentioned it to my HV who said it was nothing to worry about as long as he is having the usual amount of wet/dirty nappies and gaining weight.

I've started taking him off the breast and winding him every 5 minutes and letting him have shorter but more frequent feeds - he's still being sick but much less than before (and has put on 7oz in 6 days so some is obviously going in!)

If you're worried then give your HV a call.

vimtolover Thu 04-Aug-11 11:53:19

You have given me hope. I haven't seen my health visitor yet, she is coming on Monday. His nappies seem fine, plenty of poos and wees. And he has put on weight but like I said it only started happening last night. I think I will try and limit his feeding time to avoid getting too full. Not sure whether to wake him up to feed or leave him to sleep either.

Yesmynameis Thu 04-Aug-11 12:49:56

My DD regularly drowned herself and me in sick. I too found it worrying at first, as she was sick at any time day or night and it was projectile.

We also used Infacol initially, but stopped as we were told by MW that it is known to exacerbate sickness. Which in our case we found to be true, as when we stopped it the sickness did ease.

DD was later diagnosed with reflux, but she was a 'happy spitter' no no treatment or medication was required. She grew out of it around 6mo.

Yesmynameis Thu 04-Aug-11 12:50:48

That should have said 'so no treatment was required' not 'no no treatment was required'.

mousymouse Thu 04-Aug-11 12:57:34

in our case, ds was also a "happy spitter" (love that term!).
no treatment and he grew out of it.

vimtolover Thu 04-Aug-11 13:01:51

Thank you very much. We will stop the Infacol for now and see if that helps. I've just fed him at twelve and it's stayed down this time. So that's 2 socks to 5 feeds so far. Fingers crossed. What's a happy spitter?

mousymouse Thu 04-Aug-11 13:05:07

a reflux baby that just vomits without beeing whingey.
my ds would projectile vomit and instantly root for the breast again.

Yesmynameis Thu 04-Aug-11 13:06:07

As in, she used to spew any time anywhere, but she was never upset by it, she just carried on as if nothing had happened smile

I was so alarmed by the volume and frequency and velocity of DD puking in the early days. But she always gained weight and was an excellent feeder so I had no reason to worry really. Some babies are just sick a lot.

I personally certainly wouldn't restrict his time at the breast in any way. He will take what he needs and may need to take more to make up for what's come up. It does wonders for your supply smile

Yesmynameis Thu 04-Aug-11 13:06:28

Sorry xposted mousymouse

LisbethSalander Thu 04-Aug-11 13:20:40

Yep - my DS was born on 1 July and also did this for a couple of weeks. The worst time was when he'd been feeding for Britain - he can be a real milk monster and has put on loads of weight - and then he sat up and with 5 or so retches he brought up what looked like most of the milk he'd taken that day. I called the midwife (crying) and she said it was absolutely nothing to worry about.

She said it was not even really sick it was just like him getting rid of the excess and was just a sign he hadn't worked out when he was full yet. He still is very windy and burps and farts the night away and when I sit him up to wind him he can do burps that would make a grown man proud. I did ask about whether to restrict his food but she said not to unless he was doing it lots (5 or more) times a day and if it was starting to affect his weight gain. It was really messy (and although he's not posseting the same amount it still is messy) and so I've got used to walking around with muslins and towels too. The midwife also said it was a really good problem to have - weight gain and too much milk - better than worrying about having no milk.

I hope the HV is able to offer some reassurance on MOnday. Oh and I think the advice is not to let an EBF newborn go more than 3 hours without a feed day or night - someone will correct me if that's wrong - I didn't have to wake DS but he did have jaundice which did make him a bit sleepy.

MonsterBookOfTysons Thu 04-Aug-11 13:24:32

My ds had Pyloric Stenosis.
If your dad had this it is a possibility and would be better for it to be ruled out early, as babies can lose the weight very quickly. Ds had the occasional milk stay down. I would advise you see the mw, which is what we did, she organised us to get an emergency app.
Better to be safe.

vimtolover Sat 06-Aug-11 12:57:11

Thanks so much for all of the advice, it's all very interesting. He has not been sick since I posted last. We stopped the Infacol which has worked, I think we were making him sick with it. Will keep an eye on him though as it's only been 24 hours. I am finding the breast feeding routine exhausting at the moment, at night I have to feed, then change nappy (no point in doing before first feed as he poos during the feed) then feed again. I spend about an hour every 3. Can't imagine Ever feeling normal again. Ds is 13 days old today! Thank you again for all of the advice.

SpannerPants Sat 06-Aug-11 13:27:52

That sounds exactly like my daily routine vimtolover and DS is 23 days today! I've also stopped the infacol and he's definitely less sick - 2 or 3 small vomits instead of 5-6 big ones. I'm still feeling tired but generally better as time goes on so hopefully you'll be the same - it is only 13 days since you gave birth afterall!

WinterLover Sat 06-Aug-11 14:42:45

Im pleased I found this thread, my DS is 13 days old and has been doing exactly the same for a few days. I thought it was because he was premature (born at 36 weeks) and its been really getting me down. Feel as though he doesnt like my milk, but it seems thats normal smile

orchidee Sat 06-Aug-11 15:21:21

I thought I'd read this on kellymom but can't find it there..... to the best of my recollection this was the gist of it:

Although we tend to talk about sick / vomit to describe anything from the digestive system that is brought up, it's not the same for babies. If the baby brings up milk that still looks like milk, it's not yet been digested and so it could be a "wet burp" or too much volume hitting the immature digestive system too quickly. This is posseting and could be due to mum (forceful letdown) or the baby (chugging down rather than feeding gracefully, or immature digestive system). It may happen irregularly. If the milk looks like curds and whey then it has reached the stomach and been partially digested. This could be reflux or just a wet burp. Pyloric stenosis causes projectile vomiting. Intolerance to lactose (etc) would cause severe symptoms (true vomiting and diahorrea) after every feed and would begin shortly after birth (or after switching to / from BF).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now