Talk

Advanced search

Work and breast feeding

(7 Posts)
kellieb7 Thu 04-Aug-11 09:51:24

I have to return to work in December (boo hiss!!), DD will be nearly 12 months. I plan to continue BFing but will only be able to feed morning and night 3 days per week. I am not concerned about nutrition really as DD already eats very well and will happily take milk or water from a cup, however DD is a big comfort sucker. Would you recommend weaning DD off the breast during the day before she starts nursery or will she just realise that Mummy's milk isn't there and adapt to it. I have no desire to stop breastfeeding and will probably (all being well) allow DD to self wean when she is ready. If you think I should stop feeding in the day (nearer the time) how long does it usually take for DC's to realise and accept it?
Sorry for the rambling post grin

organiccarrotcake Thu 04-Aug-11 13:23:04

It's really tough as all bubs are different. As much as anything you need to see if you're ok to go through a whole day without getting too full and risking blocked ducts or mastitis. Most women find that their bodies adjust just fine, and you can continue to BF during the day, if you wish, on the days you're not working. Generally when bubs are away from you and distracted by the toys and children at nursery they are ok, although some transition time may be needed.

Things to consider might be:

- Leaving your DD for a day with someone who will entertain her fully (ie equivalent of nursery), but going somewhere that you can come back if necessary for your own comfort or if she needs you. See how that goes as it if goes ok it will reassure you that her being at nursery will be fine.
- Consider your expressing option if you get too full at work.
- Consider whether you can visit your daughter in nursery during the day (works for some, other bubs just get too upset when Mummy leaves again).

If you do a trial day away you'll be more prepared for things you may need, such as planning expressing, or whether you need breast pads, that sort of thing.

Many, many mums do this very sucessfully and go on to full term BF smile

TheWaterHorse Thu 04-Aug-11 22:05:41

I have recently gone back to work and dd was 12.5 months. She was on three bfs a day plus various at night. I'm at work 3 days a week and she is in nursery from around 7.30 am to 5 - 5.30pm. She appears to be managing fine not having any milk whilst at nursery (she's always been a bottle refuser and not keen on taking milk from a cup), and is eating well and playing happily at nursery.

When I pick her up, she has a massive feed then has a smaller one at bed time. On non-work days, she feeds as normal during the day and might have an extra bf during the day as well.

I haven't noticed problems with my supply or discomfort.

This is just my experience but hopefully may provide some reassurance. I would try not to worry about it too much until much nearer the time in any event, as babies seem to change their routines quite a bit at this age.

RitaMorgan Thu 04-Aug-11 22:10:45

My ds is 12 months now and we're doing a really random mix of breastfeeds and cow's milk in a cup with about 2-4 feeds a day depending on how busy we are and whether he's in nursery, if I'm available etc. Doesn't seemed to have caused any issues for either or us.

For example, today he's had breastfeeds morning, mid-afternoon and bedtime. Yesterday we were at the beach and he was too busy to feed during the day, so it was just morning and bedtime. Tomorrow he's at nursery so will have 1-2 cups of milk in the day.

kellieb7 Thu 04-Aug-11 22:13:12

Thats great, thanks for the advice/reassurance x

tallulah Thu 04-Aug-11 22:16:52

Like the others, I went back to work initially for 3 full days a week. DD was 10 mo. At nursery she had water in a cup (started off expressing but she wouldn't take it) and at home we BF as normal. You do need to be prepared for her to step up the night feeds for a while, but I found it was nice to reconnect with mine after being away from her all day.

We continued to BF until she was 4.2 years (and only stopped then because I started chemotherapy sad )

itsnotpossibleisit Thu 04-Aug-11 22:42:06

My experience tells me that she should be ok. DD was 23 months when she went on holiday with her dad for 10 days and she did not have any problems at all. Although the first things she asked when she came back was "mummy's milk". EVen after 10 days I had milk and she remembered.

Just offer milk on demand when you are with you DD, probably she will aske you on her ay anyway smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now