Talk

Advanced search

Should 10 month old also be drinking formula or milk now? Gina Ford has confused me.

(15 Posts)
BoSho Wed 03-Aug-11 21:24:24

Can someone please advise me whether I am doing the right thing please?

My 10 month old DS is EBF 3 or 4 times a day (once in the morning, sometimes once late morning (but I'm trying to avoid this one), once in the afternoon, and once in the evening), eats three meals a day with snacks (rice crackers/bread sticks/ fruit), doesn't drink cow's milk (but does have it occasionally in food that needs it, like the white sauce in lasagne etc) or formula milk, and doesn't eat eat any cereals fortified with vitamins.

Is this OK or should DS also be drinking fortified cereals with formula, or drinking less from the breast in order to wean? I'm enjoying breastfeeding, but would like to have weaned him onto a morning and evening feed by about a year if possible.

The reason I'm asking is because DS started going longer between some feeds, and I felt like he was ready to drop some, but wasn't sure what to do, so I borrowed a copy of GF (yikes!) and started following the schedule for a 9-12 month old (sleep in the morning and afternoon, bf in the morning, after the afternoon nap, and then before bed, but no bf in the night) and it's working really well, but means that DS is suddenly getting one or two less feeds a day. He doesn't actually seem to mind, but now I'm worried that he's going to be malnourished if I don't give him breast milk or formula, because GF also suggests serving cereal with breast milk or formula for breakfast, and using breast milk or formula for cooking with, which I don't do. Is it necessary? I could express of course, but it seems like madness to express when DS can just drink it straight from the source. Am I missing something? Is this the only way to wean?

MatthewWrightOffTheTelly Wed 03-Aug-11 21:31:29

Your post made me confused

Nothing that you did, just the typical Gina baby guru thing of overcomplicating something that should be much more straightforward.

Here's how I see it/understand it to be.

Babies should have breast milk or formula as their main source of milk until they are 12 months. They can have cows milk on cereal etc from 6 months.

As you introduce solids they will naturally take fewer milk feeds but their main source of nutrition will still be milk until they are 1.

If you ensure they are getting the requisite amount of calcium (and somebody much more knowledgeable will be along soon with quantities I'm sure) then don't sweat it. Breast feed. Feed (age appropriate) solids. Sorted. smile

SheCutOffTheirTails Wed 03-Aug-11 21:39:32

I don't understand the question.

Is it about whether you should use formula or breastmilk in cooking?

If so, then there's no need. Unless he has an cow's milk allergy, regular cow's milk will be fine.

Is it whether he needs more breastfeeds?

If so, then if he seems happy enough and isn't looking for more feeds he's presumably fine. 10 month olds are not hard to understand when they are looking for a feed.

Is it whether you need to give him formula as well as breastmilk?

If so, the answer is no, breastmilk is better, so why introduce formula unless you have to.

RitaMorgan Wed 03-Aug-11 21:41:08

Breastfeed on demand

Use cow's milk in cereal and cooking

If you want to stop breastfeeding, switch to formula before 12 months/cow's milk after 12 months

3 breastfeeds a day sounds ok for a 10 month old to me, but no harm in offering more often if he wants it.

BoSho Wed 03-Aug-11 21:44:35

I don't know tail cutter. I am confused matthew wright! Basically, it feels like everyone except for me is giving fortified cereals and formula, as well as breastfeeding and I want some reassurance that I am doing the right thing.

I am basically wondering whether the 3 or 4 feeds I'm giving as the main source are enough for a 10 month old, or whether I need to start expressing and using breast milk in food or giving formula.

RitaMorgan Wed 03-Aug-11 21:45:47

Why not give him some vitamins if you're worried? I think they are recommended anyway.

twinklegreen Wed 03-Aug-11 21:46:25

Ignore Gina. hmm

Sounds like you were doing fine as you were.

BoSho Wed 03-Aug-11 21:47:19

Thanks Rita. He doesn't generally want more, but if he does, I just give it to him.

I would quite like to stop only when it's possible to get him straight onto cow's milk rather then formula, so thanks for the advice smile.

BoSho Wed 03-Aug-11 21:50:45

Thanks twinklegreen grin.

Rita I live in The Netherlands, where we're advised to give Vit K for the first 3 months and then Vit D until they're 4. I asked the health visitor, nutritionalist, and doctor (!) about Vit C and A but was told that they're not necessary.

RitaMorgan Wed 03-Aug-11 21:54:34

I think Vitamin D is the important one as everything else can be got through a good diet.

You sound like you're doing fine as you are to me!

Mibby Wed 03-Aug-11 21:56:20

My DD is almost 9 months and sounds very similar. Nurses first thing, once or twice during the day (often around nap time) then another big feed just before bed. Then she has 3 meals plus one or two snacks. We use cows milk for cooking/ porridge etc and she eats a fair amount of yogurt, mainly for breakfast

I agree with twinkle ignore GF

twinklegreen Wed 03-Aug-11 21:58:02

your breastmilk has all the vitamins and minerals they need, plus a balanced diet of solid food after 6mths.

BoSho Wed 03-Aug-11 21:58:49

Thanks for your support. I don't know anyone irl who's stil breastfeeding, and have the odd wobble where I feel like a bit of a freak and need the odd bit of reassurance from MN. I am on here quite a bit, but spend quite a lot of time lurking because I never feel like I have anything useful to say blush. I must summon the courage to post more replies too.

BoSho Wed 03-Aug-11 22:00:55

OK, great, thanks! I will stop worrying.

DS also easts a lot of yoghurt twinklegreen. Sometimes I think he knows what he's doing much better than I do.

BoSho Wed 03-Aug-11 22:01:34

Sorry, meant Mibby

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now