Talk

Advanced search

amount of milk for a 10 mo

(9 Posts)
nomoremagnolia Tue 02-Aug-11 13:27:44

going back to work soon so will be digging out the breast pump - ds is almost 10mo and feeds 4 x day (on waking, mid pm, bedtime and dreamfeed when I go to bed) How much milk should I express for him for the mid afternoon feed? Obviously I have no idea how much he usually has per feed and he's a reluctant bottle feeder so when he stops you can't tell if it's refusal of the bottle or if he's had enough.

RitaMorgan Tue 02-Aug-11 14:07:43

I'd guess 2 or 3oz.

Seona1973 Tue 02-Aug-11 15:34:35

he may not even want daytime milk feeds - both mine (althought bottle fed) were on 2 milk feeds by 11 months. If you didnt want to express you could even offer small amounts of cows milk as a drink when you are at work. A few ounces would probably be plenty and he can always make up the amount in the evenings when you are home from work.

Yama Tue 02-Aug-11 15:37:49

I went back to work when ds was 10 months old. I just fed him morning and evening. He is a good eater though.

nomoremagnolia Tue 02-Aug-11 19:51:46

I expressed and offered him 3oz today, he was having none of it but then happily took a BF about 10 mins later (once he'd calmed down from the complete meltdown/crying/tantrum he had about the bottle)
He'll take water from the same bottle but not expressed milk confused Thinking of trying formula, but would cow's milk be ok? I want to get him used to a bottle before going back to work.

RitaMorgan Tue 02-Aug-11 19:54:46

Why not try a cup? You're supposed to wean them off bottles by a year anyway.

I started giving my ds one cup of cow's milk a day from 10.5 months (plus three breastfeeds) - it took a month before he drank and oz grin Now (almost 12 months) some days he'll drink 3oz, some just a sip. Three breastfeeds a day is plenty though so I'm not worried really about this one cup at nursery.

nomoremagnolia Tue 02-Aug-11 20:28:08

He wouldn't take milk from his sippy cup either - I tried that too sad

nomoremagnolia Tue 02-Aug-11 20:33:06

I think I'll try other types of milk in the bottle/cup. He'll happily drink water from both, so maybe it's the ebm he's objecting to? I would let him drop that feed but dh looked after him y'day pm and said ds was wailing and hungry but refused bottle and got so upset he didn't even want a fromage frais instead (ds normally loves fromage frais!)

RitaMorgan Tue 02-Aug-11 20:47:23

If he refused food then maybe he wasn't hungry? Maybe he was tired or bored or just missed you.

I would just persist with the cup/bottle, and start offering an afternoon snack too. He may well decide he just wants a snack and will wait til he sees you to feed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now