Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Travel sickness medicine that is compatible with breastfeeding?

(5 Posts)
lummox Mon 01-Aug-11 15:18:41

Wondering if anyone out there can help with this. I'm bfing a 7 month old baby (just twice or three times a day) and need to take a long boat journey.

I get very, very travel sick and want something for the journey but my GP says that there is nothing at all which is safe?

I'm not in the UK and not sure if I am getting ultra-cautious advice. My GP find the idea of bfing a baby of this age pretty bizarre so I am also wondering if he thinks that I might as well just give up breastfeeding.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks very much.

sleepdeprivedby2 Mon 01-Aug-11 15:33:19

You could try some travel sickness bands.

They are wristbands that put pressure on an accupuncture point on your wrist which helps to control nausea. (Just google 'adult travel bands').

They will be fine whilst breastfeeding and I have used them for many years without incident.

Hope you have a fun and uneventful winktrip.

lummox Mon 01-Aug-11 16:25:50

Hi sleepdeprived - thanks very much for replying. I have tried the bands, but they didn't seem to work and made my hands feel numb and pins and needles-y.

Now wondering about whether to take a long drive instead (3 kids 6 and under to entertain for 8 hours........)

TruthSweet Mon 01-Aug-11 21:59:44

I had a look on LactMed (US Gov. Drugs/lactation database) and found this and this and this.

None of which seem to be contra-indicated against bfing if used for a one off dose. You might be able to get scolpamine over the counter (otherwise known as hyoscine - Kwells is a UK brand name for these tablets).

lummox Tue 02-Aug-11 08:22:32

Many thanks TruthSweet. Unfortunately I can't get the links to work - have just messaged you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now