Talk

Advanced search

Gold top milk?

(10 Posts)
SpanglyGiraffe Mon 01-Aug-11 12:35:37

My DS is 17 months, and has a bottle to go down at night, and during the day for naps. It's a very bad habit that we've got into!

I give him blue top milk, but a family member has recently told me that he should be on Gold Top, and marched out to the shop to buy some for me. Does he NEED to be on Gold top? He's a good weight, very happy, and doesn't sit still for 5 minutes, and up until now i've been quite happy giving him Blue top, but now i'm wondering if Gold top would be better?

Any experiences/advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you! :D

TimeWasting Mon 01-Aug-11 13:30:36

Wow, can you still buy Gold Top milk? grin

BertieBotts Mon 01-Aug-11 14:26:06

No! Full cream is fine! smile

AchtungBaby Mon 01-Aug-11 14:40:55

AFAIK, the guidelines say full fat milk and other dairy products smile.

I'd consider giving him Gold top if his weight gain was slower than expected, but otherwise I wouldn't worry.

RitaMorgan Mon 01-Aug-11 14:48:04

Full fat is fine, but if he is using a bottle then you really should brush his teeth after the milk. They need about 350ml of milk/dairy products a day at this age.

SpanglyGiraffe Mon 01-Aug-11 15:56:24

Fantastic, thankyou everyone! You've put my mind at ease, and apart from anything, it's much more expensive!

Yeah, TimeWasting she bought it from Tescos!

Stokey38 Mon 01-Aug-11 15:58:20

I give my DS (14m) gold top but he is a tiny 9th centile and we are try to fatten him up! I did ask my HV and she said it was fine.

TimeWasting Mon 01-Aug-11 16:45:39

Fancy that! grin

RitaMorgan Mon 01-Aug-11 16:58:08

My DP loves Jersey Gold and gets it sometimes from Sainsburys for a treat grin

TruthSweet Mon 01-Aug-11 20:03:09

I gave my DD1 gold top when I had no milk for 3m of my 2nd pg. I figured if 1y+ bm is ~11% fat, ordinary cow's milk at 3.6% was just not going to cut it so at least Gold Top is 5%.

DD3 on the other hand had 1-2 pints of double cream a week in her food from about 7-13m shock and she's still only on the 25%ile at 21m (91st at birth)!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now