Talk

Advanced search

Mirror article: extended bf

(6 Posts)
mrsgordonfreeman Mon 01-Aug-11 11:56:18

www.mirror.co.uk/life-style/real-life/2011/08/01/i-ll-keep-breastfeeding-as-long-as-my-daughter-wants-115875-23311729/

I am conflicted about this. I mean, the woman in the article is making perfect sense. Her daughter is only three, ffs!

Out of the tabloid context, it's a perfectly sweet article about a healthy breastfeeding relationship. But as it's in the Mirror, I am getting pervy undertones.

I have not delved into the comment cesspit. If someone else would like to get their hands dirty...

BaronessBomburst Mon 01-Aug-11 12:04:19

Didn't see any comments..... What's sad is that it's so unusual to still be BF a child of this age that it merits a newspaper article. I'm going for self-weaning too. DS is 17 months. I've already had a lot of surprised comments.

EauRouge Mon 01-Aug-11 12:33:08

I don't know how unusual it is, maybe people just keep quiet about it because they are scared of criticism. Or maybe I'm just spoiled by MN grin

The article is OK, I can see that the parents are trying to normalise it, which is brilliant, but I can't help but think the only reason the Mirror has published it is to give their readers an opportunity to saw 'eeewwww!' and make 'bitty' jokes.

It would have been nice if they'd included some references and information about the benefits of breastfeeding, I'd be more inclined to take the article seriously then.

ihatecbeebies Mon 01-Aug-11 15:05:05

The article was discussed on This Morning and the general consensus of the presenters was that it was disgusting, I expected some angry messages/phonecalls disagreeing with their comments but instead people phoned up agreeing.

Mishy1234 Mon 01-Aug-11 20:04:12

I can't remember the average age for true self-weaning, but it's certainly over the age of 3.

I don't think it's that unusual, but I do think that people keep quiet about it. I fed DS1 until just over 3 and tbh I can't say that he self-weaned as I did encourage it (don't offer, don't refuse technique). He stopped for a bit and then when he tried again he'd lost the technique. It didn't upset him at all, but I must admit I found it quite sad, although bearable as I'm still feeding DS2.

Yes, the 'This Morning' presenters are quite ignorant about bf in general so I would expect that reaction. It wouldn't be newsworthy if they thought it was ok though. I must admit to not understanding why someone would allow themselves and their child to be featured in an article like that. Yes, it does illustrate that children are bf past 6 months, but it never shows them in a positive light.

EarlyyearsChildcare Mon 01-Aug-11 21:08:54

I am still bf my dd (2 1/2). Just the last one before she goes to sleep at night. I muted the idea to mummy friends after the article and this morning, and they were horrified. I didn't say I still do because I felt like a freak. However the dummies and bottles their ch use are just substitute nipples but no one seems to think that is wierd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now