Talk

Advanced search

Are there quality grades when it comes to breastmilk?

(10 Posts)
peedieworky Mon 01-Aug-11 07:32:53

Hi all,

I was at a 1st birthday party at the weekend and got into an argument discussion with an irritating, insignificant eejit of a man one of the kids fathers over breast milk. Basically, I had stuffed myself on the finger buffet (joy of kids parties! Mini sausages and ham & pineapple pizza a go-go!) & asked the hostess for somewhere quiet and comfy I could slope off to in order to feed 10 week old DS. I then overheard this male guest make a comment about 'another of the breasfteeding Nazi's". I was friendly and asked what he was saying & he went off on a total rant about "this nonsense" about breastfeeding and went on to comment that, given my diet of wotsits and marshmallow hats that day, something out of a jar would be far more likely to give my DS the nutrients he needed. At that stage, the hostess stepped in to prevent my DH from lamping the pratt diffuse the situation and there then ensued a discussion from many of the Mums there about how hard it was - especially in the early weeks - to eat regularly - and especially to get your 5 a day (when Cadbury's calories seem so much easler!).

So - putting aside the idiot (who clearly has his own issues...) what I was wondering was just how much does my diet impact on the "quality" of my milk? I will confess my fruit intake has been appaling since ECS (fear of wind after a nasty post-banana experience in the early days.. I shant go into detail shock) but I have been stuffing it in ever since!

Babieseverywhere Mon 01-Aug-11 07:36:51

No, milk is of the same high quality if you eat sweets or organic fruits.

peedieworky Mon 01-Aug-11 07:38:13

How I wish you'd been at the party...

TimeWasting Mon 01-Aug-11 07:39:56

Unless you yourself are severely malnourished your milk will be perfectly fine.

It's not like making a smoothie, which is what it sounds like people like that father think. The milk isn't made out of what you've eaten that day. grin

Sorry you got hassled at a birthday party by a very rude and completely ignorant twat.

WalterFlipschicks Mon 01-Aug-11 07:41:45

Oh my god shock what a moron! No the quality is the same whatever you eat

peedieworky Mon 01-Aug-11 07:45:59

Hah hah - love the smoothie analogy! I guess the problem was I knew he was wrong but had no facts to back myself up and then started to doubt myself (though didn't let on!).

Apols for spelling errors btw - typing one handed while giving DS a bran flake smoothie wink

EauRouge Mon 01-Aug-11 11:19:07

No, the man was, as you so rightly put it, an eejit. I would print out this, glue it to a 2x4 and hit him around the head with it. Or let him read it, depending on what mood you're in grin. You could also show him this which lists what's in breastmilk. Then compare it to the label on one of those jars of baby food that he seemed to think would be suitable for a 10 wo.

You sound like you are doing a fab job. Did you know that breastfeeding can burn up to 500 calories a day? So enjoy your mini sausages grin

hermionestranger Mon 01-Aug-11 11:23:13

What a prat. Bloody love buffets like that. I'd have lamped him and blamed it on hormones. grin

MilesFlora Mon 01-Aug-11 12:16:49

Cheers eau rouge for that list of nutrients - it's quite impressive.

What a prat indeed.

peedieworky Mon 01-Aug-11 13:21:50

Wow - thanks for the info. Am now hoping the chap in question will be at the same party next year [removes jacket and rolls sleeves up] wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now