Talk

Advanced search

8 month old refusing evening bf

(13 Posts)
Bufster Sun 31-Jul-11 21:39:11

My 8 months old dd has recently started refusing her evening breast feed and I am hoping someone has some advice on how I can get her back to it. I only bf her twice a day: morning and evening (we stopped night feeds around one month ago).

She is in nursery during the day as I am back at work and she gets two bottles of formula while she is there as well as solids. She has 10-12 oz of formula during the day. When she comes home from nursery around 6pm I give her some more solids, then let her play for a bit and then bf her around 7.30 before putting her to bed.

The last 4-5 days she has refused the evening bf, or taken very little. She gets quite grumpy if I persist in trying to get her to eat. She is sleeping through even without this evening bf.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can maintain the evening bf? Should I cut down on the formula during the day or should I give her less solids in the evening? My DH thinks I should just bf her in the morning and give up the evening bf, but I really don?t want to do that if I can help it.

RitaMorgan Sun 31-Jul-11 21:46:18

How about breastfeeding her after nursery, then giving her a solid supper before bed?

SurprisEs Sun 31-Jul-11 21:49:38

Why is it exactly that you don't want to give up the evening feed?

RitaMorgan Sun 31-Jul-11 21:56:45

It might be hard to maintain a supply on just one feed a day.

Bufster Sun 31-Jul-11 22:05:21

Thanks for your replies.

I don't want to give up because I like breast feeding her and it seems silly that she has so much formula when she could be getting more of her milk from me. I also think as RitaMorgan says that if I drop the evening feed the morning one would follow quite quickly as my supply would be likely to go down.

RitaMorgan - that is a good idea, I'll try that.

SurprisEs Sun 31-Jul-11 22:14:44

Or try expressing in the evening and replacing one of the formula feeds for expressed milk. Just in case the other idea doesn't work.

RitaMorgan Sun 31-Jul-11 22:17:19

I think I would consider dropping one of the bottles of formula at nursery too - maybe just do one 7oz bottle or 2 3/4oz cups. 2 bottles and 2 breastfeeds sounds like quite a lot for an 8 month old to me.

Bufster Sun 31-Jul-11 22:22:00

I hadn't thought of that option - thanks.

This is my first thread on MN - am very happy that you have taken the time to reply to what is hardly the most exciting problem ever. Thanks.

Bufster Sun 31-Jul-11 22:23:38

Sorry - the first part of my last post was to SurprisEs.

SurprisEs Sun 31-Jul-11 22:28:37

I co-slept for about 18 months so my daughter fed through the night so luckily I had no problems with supply. Not saying you should co-sleep though. LOL

I've only been visiting the forum for 2 days. I have found it quite welcoming

Bufster Sun 31-Jul-11 22:32:28

I was ready to do that if she had wanted to feed through the night when I switched to bottles during the day. Quite relieved that she didn't though.

SurprisEs Sun 31-Jul-11 22:40:11

I enjoyed co-sleeping but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Contradicting, I know confused

Bufster Mon 01-Aug-11 20:52:09

Update: I tried bfing straight after nursery today instead of giving solids, but it didn't help, she still refused the breast. Once I gave up and gave her solids she ate loads so she was hungry, just not for milk.

I have arranged with the nursery that they will try to give her less formula tomorrow aiming for just one bottle and more solids instead, so I hope that will help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now