Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Starting expressing a few months down the line

(2 Posts)
Edie78 Sun 31-Jul-11 18:55:56

Grateful for some MNers advice on expressing.

I'm ebf my 6 week old ds and it all seems to be going fine. We co-sleep so I'm not finding the nights too bad and my dh is very hands on looking after ds in every way except feeding. I haven't yet tried expressing because I wanted to get bf established and can't really be naffed to clean bottles etc.

I'm happy to continue as we are but think that in a few months time - say when ds is 4 or 5 months - I might want a night out or need to be away from ds for a few hours. In that situation, I'd need dh or my mum to feed him. Would it be a problem to leave trying out expressing until then or is it something I'd need to try sooner so I don't have problems? I want to avoid ff if I can. Also, I imagine that expressing will be an infrequent necessity rather than something I'll do regularly.

Grateful for suggestions/ideas about when to try it out and how to see off any potential problems.

Thanks!

Albrecht Sun 31-Jul-11 20:57:05

Its two different things really. You'll need a few pumping sessins to get enough milk for a feed probably and some people find it can take a bit of practice, although others get masses easily. And the other thing is whether your baby will take a bottle.

Ds hated them and I found expressing such a hassle once you've got into the swing of bfing, I never really bothered. By the time they are 4 or 5 months they can go quite a few hours without a feed if they are being distracted successfully. And he might be sleeping through by then so you could go out later on... <disclaimer, ds is 13 months and has never done anything remotely like sleeping through so I have no idea about nights out...>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: