Talk

Advanced search

God, I had forgotten how relentless feeding a newborn is

(12 Posts)
DitaVonCheese Sun 31-Jul-11 18:31:33

Plus also still bfing DD - she is nearly 3, DS is a week today (grin). I just want to take my breasts and run far away where no one will pester them.

Anyone else suffering?

Yama Sun 31-Jul-11 18:35:00

The good news is that you will forget again. This time is too tiring for your brain to remember it.

Not suffering at the mo - dc2 is 11 months old. Still feeding but only twice a day. How long will you feed dd for?

Oh, and congrats by the way.

LadyGoneGaga Sun 31-Jul-11 18:38:43

Hi Dita. We had our DC's on the same day! grin I had a little girl (well 9lb8oz, not that little)

I'm with you. DD is feeding a lot and I had forgotten about the importance/technique of proper latch and ended up with quite sore nipples. They are healing now but she has spent all day cluster feeding today. Thankfully asleep now.

Well done you for still feeding DD. I got too sore in first trimester to carry on. How is it working out?

DitaVonCheese Sun 31-Jul-11 20:02:48

LadyGG! grin grin grin Massive congrats to you all. Wowzer at 9 lb 8, DS was 8 10 and I thought that was good going. It's weird feeding the second, isn't it? I found it quite hard latching DS on immediately post-birth - so used to just pointing DD in the general direction that I struggled with actually having to position him blush I'm feeling a little sore but mainly just want a moment's peace!

Glad I kept going with DD but it is a bit overwhelming. I know it's something that's really important to her but she's a bit full-on plus her latch has got a bit toothy/she likes to try to watch CBeebies or read at the same time so it's a bit uncomfy. Have fed both at once a few times which is sweet but means I cannot move so can only stare blankly at crap telly or laptop screen unable even to scroll down the page. Argh. Also suffering quite badly from engorgement as it's impossible to communicate to my massive norks that the milkmonster is in bed 12 hours out of every 24 (on a good day anyway) so I'm really uncomfy by early morning sad

Thanks Yama I really can't remember it being like this with DD - I keep thinking that if I was a first time mum then I'd be thinking that there is something wrong with my supply. The stupid thing is that I'm training to be a breastfeeding counsellor with the NCT and will have to lead antenatal bf classes eventually and at the moment the one thing I want to get across to pg mums is how much newborns feed but it doesn't (necessarily) mean anything is wrong, but it's still completely thrown me.

Not sure how long I'll keep going with DD - can really see DS weaning first! Am rather hoping that he will be one of those magic babies who self-weans by a year (and sleeping through early doors would be nice too).

LadyGoneGaga Sun 31-Jul-11 20:40:49

Maybe she'll decide that BF is for babies <hopeful>

And well done you on training to be a BF counsellor. Such a worthwhile thing. I had kind of forgotten how much newborns feed and keep having to explain to DP as she is his first. He's brilliant though - he looks after DS and does nappies and brings me meals while I just dispense milk. Like a dairy cow!!! Am dreading him going back to work. I wonder whether she feeds even more than DS did as she is such a big baby?

DitaVonCheese Sun 31-Jul-11 21:13:42

I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I don't mind carrying on if she wants but if she wakes up tomorrow and never nurses again I can't imagine being too sad. It is lovely actually feeding a newborn compared to a toddler - no teeth! and he just lies there. Bliss.

Yay for your DP. DH is being fab. Just wish we could share bfing!

SurprisEs Sun 31-Jul-11 21:19:58

My daughter is now 2 and I BF for 13 months. I still haven't forgotten how often a newborn feeds. The memories of my husband having to cut my food in small pieces so that I'd get a chance to put some food in me are too vivid!

Loopymumsy Sun 31-Jul-11 21:39:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TimeWasting Mon 01-Aug-11 07:35:48

Congratulations!

I'm due October and will remember to read up on good latching technique before the day.

I weaned DS off his last feed when I was 3 mth pg as it was getting so uncomfortable, and I'm really looking forward to breastfeeding again.
Good to be reminded how different it is with newborns though. Cuddly though eh? smile

SkiBumMum Mon 01-Aug-11 07:48:08

This is something I have been wondering and may be a stupid question. Purely theoretical in my case.

How can one breastfeed a newborn and a toddler as surely the milk needs to be totally different. You read so much about your body making the milk the infant needs - eg highly calorific when they are piling weight on as a newborn (hopefully). Do you make collostrum for instance? And if so how do you ensure the newborn gets it - just not feed toddler for a few days. If your milk is already "in" though, how can collostrum be made?

Just wondered!

SurprisEs Mon 01-Aug-11 10:06:35

I've always asked myself the same question but never bothered to do the research. Maybe because I never intended in feeding 2 children simultaneously, unless I had twins

DitaVonCheese Mon 01-Aug-11 13:15:24

SurprisEs I do remember having to have my food cut up and trying to eat while bfing and getting stains all down the sides of DD's babygros (and couscous in her ears grin).

Thanks Loopy smile I think Kellymom reckons it calms down a bit by 6 weeks, just need to make sure I let DS know wink

SkiBum The milks don't tend to be that different - I think one is 7% fat and the other is 4% (and have a feeling that it's the toddler milk that's higher fat but could be wrong about that). Your body prioritises the newborn anyway. Most (70%) women find that their milk dries up at some point during pregnancy - it also changes flavour slightly, which puts some nurslings off, so about a quarter I think self-wean during pregnancy. Then your colostrum comes in at some point late in pregnancy - I think around 28-30 weeks for me - which means you can get some pretty grim nappies from your toddler grin

Post-birth you only get colostrum for a couple of days so need to make sure newborn gets that first. Once your milk comes in there's generally (more than) enough to go round - certainly no supply issues here!

More on Kellymom if you're interested www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/index.html (now NAK!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now