Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Just wants bf 7.5/8 month old

(9 Posts)
pinkyp Sun 31-Jul-11 12:24:29

My ds is 7.5 nearly 8 months old, were not doing great with weaning :-( some days he'll eat ok other days he won't. Past few days he's refused all food but wanted to be bf all the time. Since 10.30 he's had 3 bf's (including a 20 min one) it's only 12.30 now. What's happening? sad fed up

BitzyVonMuffling Sun 31-Jul-11 12:26:14

My ds was the same at that age. If you're happy to just give milk, nothing bad will happen. I rememebr my witch of a health visitor being horrified, but ds was a porker when it came to weight so they ate their words. If you're NOT happy then maybe see if you can speak to a breastfeeding counsellor. I know it can be emotionally and physically draining to be feeding so much.

EauRouge Sun 31-Jul-11 12:40:29

My DD1 still barely eats any solid food and she's almost 3 yo (I've asked my HV about it a few times and she says DD1 is fine). All you can do is offer lots of different healthy foods and continue to BF. Some children pick up food quicker than others, if there are good days and bad days then it may be down to teething or illness. Are you trying to cut down on BF or are you just worried about your DS's health?

JoinTheDots Sun 31-Jul-11 13:50:54

Poor you - it can be really draining when you want to be able to slow down the feeds and they keep ramping up, I am finding weaning is not happening slow with DD who is 11 months and I really would have liked to be down to maybe 2 feeds a day by now. As it is, I am still feeding all the time on demand.

Keep telling myself that food is just for fun until they are one. Dunno what I am going to do when she gets to one though (in 3 weeks) and is still more interested in milk than solids.

TheRealMBJ Sun 31-Jul-11 14:12:48

Hi pinkyp.

Weaning can be so frustrating, can't it? sad We are given the impression that as soon as a baby hits six months he or she should be gagging for solids and quickly replace milk with food. The reality is that often they take a little longer than we expect them too, after all, your milk is packed full of calories and goodness while most solid foods are relatively low in calories.

It is recommended that babies receive the majority of their calories from breast milk (or formula) until they are around a year old and there after they should still be getting having milk (breast or cow's) as a significant part of their diet until 2 years old. Kellymom has an excellent article on this that can putmyour mind to rest.

TheRealMBJ Sun 31-Jul-11 14:17:10

Oops, posted too soon.

From personal experience, DS only really started eating enthusiastically aroun one year old and still has days where he isn't very interested in food. I try to calm my anxiety by remembering that it is my job to provide the food and his to eat it if he needs to.

pinkyp Sun 31-Jul-11 16:48:37

I'm not trying to cut down bf as such. We seem to get on ok with weaning I offer 'meals' 3 times a day and sometimes he'll do well and only have say 3-4 bf's during the day (nights a diff storey) but then it all seems to go wrong and we end up starting again. He never would let me spoon feed him but now if he really likes something (yoghurt or spag Bol) he will sometimes let me feed him that. Past few days have just been 'tastes' of food rather than eating and lots of bf's. I'm just worried he's not getting enough food as my hv keeps telling me milk alone isn't good enough now so I stress when he refuses.

TheRealMBJ Sun 31-Jul-11 18:03:11

She's wrong. Don't worry. As long as you are offering a wide variety and letting him have as much food and BM as he wants don't worry about it.

Albrecht Sun 31-Jul-11 21:03:42

He's not going to waste away on just bm. Sounds like you are doing the right things, just keep offering different foods but don't stress about it. It'll make mealtimes unpleasant and unhappy for everyone. Easier said than done of course.

Have you tried offering snacks while he's playing? Sometimes ds will hardly eat at a meal but will have an oatcake once he's back with his toys. You have to not mind the mess though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now